Hedge funds of ET members

Discussion in 'Trading' started by blackguard, Nov 6, 2003.

1. i consider anything under 10 million to be a microfund.

best,

surfer:)

#21     Nov 8, 2003
  2. 100 million is pretty small for a legitimate hedge fund. Just my take.

#22     Nov 8, 2003
  3. Mecro

Mecro

Everybody and their mother is starting a hedge fund lately.

5 years later, most of them are gone.

#23     Nov 8, 2003
  4. Rumors of my demise have been grossly exaggerated......

I cannot say much more about myself. If you are accredited, there are ways to appease your curiousity. Otherwise, just rely on whatever rumors you like.

On the subject of THV, I only ever owned it in my personal account and sold it all in the spring at around 60c. I took a 40% hit on it. I posted that I was selling it on ET numerous times. I really am sorry for that one.

When you invest in micro-caps, it is about playing the odds. Some work great, some go nowhere, and a few die. For every THV you get, you also get plenty of winners (recent ones are PTSX/DDN/CVGW/ESCA/DCAI). I will play those numbers any time.

Search on ET, I posted about those other ones too, and before they moved.

Microcaps are not for everyone. I feel that it is an area with massive mispricings if someone is willing to do the work and take some risk.

#24     Nov 8, 2003
  5. Post of the month, so far.

If more people understood this, there would less of all this inane whining on this site.

Great job, Brandonf

Regards
    Oddi

#25     Nov 8, 2003
  6. chessman

chessman Guest

Harris's Praetorian Capital is up 294% for the year ! ( Yes, you're reading it correctly, thats Two Hundred and Ninety Four percent)

Aaron no doubt will bounce back, anyone who has the discipline to stick to a proven system will do well in the long run.

Good luck to both.

#26     Nov 8, 2003
  7. ktm

ktm

Well, if I'm running 10mm in one of these play toys and return 100% and charge 1:20, that's some pretty nice gross revs for a year (2.1mm). As a customer, if I drop my mere 2 - 3mm in there and get it doubled in a year, I guess I'd be pretty happy too. Someone please DISMISS me into that play toy world.

Some of you guys are hilarious.

#27     Nov 8, 2003

8. you simply do not understand the reality of the hedgefund world. accounting fees, legal fees, staff salaries, rent, data, you may have to pay a finders fee for the 10 million, you may have to split the profits with a partner, etc. etc. . in addition, most funds have a "high water mark" that they must beat each year to keep earning the performance fee.

best,

surfer

#28     Nov 8, 2003

9. that is fantastic ! however, it is only relative to the amount of capital under management. many many many stock pickers have had returns like this, but VERY few hedge funds. p2 is a great trader and i wish him all the best in the future !

surfer:) :)

#29     Nov 8, 2003
  10. Congrats on your success Praetorian...

#30     Nov 8, 2003