Hedge Funds May Cut a Record 20,000 Jobs as Losses Erode Fees

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ASusilovic, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Which is exactly why the average guy should just buy an index tracking fund instead of paying some b.s. mutual fund company to take 2% a year and underperform.

#11     Mar 14, 2009
  2. ventus

ventus

how much time does it take? just about as much time it took me to realize who has been on the other side of my trades for the past five years. thank you vinny1. you made my ferrari possible.

#12     Apr 2, 2009
  3. 70% of them lost money in 2008?! I'm no financial planner, but I think you'd get more satisfaction out off burning your money, than investing it into one of those.

#13     Apr 2, 2009
    #14     Apr 2, 2009
  5. mogul

mogul

Are you serious?

So the average investor should instead spend time and effort and possibly financial advisor fees to try to pick the top hedge funds to invest in (of which the overwhelming majority don't outperform even the s&p500.)
    And to top it off, once you are underwater, the fund closes up shop and realizes your losses, just for you to start all over again.

AND, you have the possibility of ending up with a Madoff, and realize an effective -100% of your investment.

Should we continue debating the merits of hedge funds vs indexes?

#15     Apr 2, 2009
  6. You clearly don't understand the utility of hedge funds..If someone has 50 million, they aren't going to open a brokerage account and buy etfs...if they were that dumb they probly wouldn't have 50 mil. The "average" investor and hedge funds have nothing to do with each other.

#16     Apr 2, 2009
  7. ventus

ventus

yes and yes.

#17     Apr 9, 2009