Hedge Funds Invade the Options Markets

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by archon, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Cool article. Hedge funds are not the ideal market makers IMHO, since providing liquidity is not their primary reason for existence. However, they seem to be functioning well so far. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for the zero sum debate, anyone who has ever traded options professionally knows that this market is anything BUT zero sum.

#31     Mar 12, 2007
  2. I agree that it is a cool article. I think hedge funds as options market makers sounds kind of scary.

#32     Mar 14, 2007
  3. Indeed

#33     Mar 15, 2007
  4. rosy2

rosy2

they did when they sold their bond. also, i highly doubt that citadel would have gotten into the option market making business if it was not headquartered in chicago.

#34     Mar 15, 2007
  5. Interesting. I never thought of it from a geographical perspective before.

I doubt that geography really played much of a factor, especially in this age of the ISE and other online options markets.

However, it's an interesting premise. The world's largest hedge fund decided to make markets in options because they were nearby.....

#35     Mar 23, 2007
  6. No, the Chinese Wall is reported to exist between the research and trading departments of street-banks, and that is suspect. Citadel is said to earn 30% on their MM-book. Nice, but nothing Earth-shattering.

#36     Mar 23, 2007
  7. Buying straight calls or puts on stocks is not an impossible task to profit from, but there is definitely a specific approach you must use to avoid the inherent problems of Premium and Time Decay.

A: You need to buy In the Money options, "but," only on stocks with Low to Very Modest Implied Volatility on the options.
    This of course limits your stock trading universe, because many popular stocks have high implied volatility on their options.

B: You also want to limit the bid to ask spread to .10.

C: You want to look for really good Intrinsic Value.
    Example of Intrinsic Value:
    Stock Price....Strike Price...Bid Price...Ask Price

The above option is $2.83 In the Money, therefore the intrinsic
    Value of the above option is 2.83.
    You would have pay the 3.00 ask price to buy the above option.
    That means you are really only paying .17 for the privilege of
    trading the above stock for about a month.
    The Delta on the option is .99
    That means if the stock moves 1.00, the option moves 99 cents.
    So for $300 you get to trade a $2,283 worth of stock for about a month and participant in 99% of the price movement.
    If the stock hasn't moved by expiration day, you cash in the option for roughly a bid price of 2.70 to 2.75 ($270-275).

Note: The above example was Dell Computer.
    The April 20 call strike was used in the example above.
    Other stocks with similar parameters are CSCO and ORCL,
    and there are many others like that.

If you did your homework and found good charting low to medium volatility stocks, with a low bid to ask spread, and buy
    In the Money options like the example above, you can trade with a very small account and yet fully participate in at least 90% of the stock price movement of many popular stocks.
    "But first and foremost learn to properly chart stock movement,
    otherwise its just a lesson in watching your account slowly shrink."

Jeff

#37     Mar 23, 2007
  8. I'm curious myself as to how that firm did on Feb 27th. That is the type of day when options market makers traditionally make or lose their whole year, so I wonder how one of the largest liquidity providers in the business fared.

#38     Mar 26, 2007
  9. I am curious about this as well.

#39     Mar 27, 2007
  10. archon

archon

Interesting....so you just essentially want to trade stock. After all, .99 delta options are essentially the same as the underlying.

Anyway, back to hedge funds. Here's my question....

If making markets in options is so profitable for Citadel, then why aren't other funds getting in on the action?

#40     Mar 29, 2007