Hedge funds famous for technical trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kmgilroy89, Jan 7, 2013.

1. jem

jem

correct.

I have spoken with a guy who was a consultant to some of the most famous funds out there. He made a few of them profitable.
    He did not call what he did t/a but it was.

There is no doubt plenty of funds use t/a... if only to figure out the size and time for their trades.

For instance if they need to get big orders done... how do they figure it out. Well some explain opening and closing and reports and round numbers and scaling in and out around support and resistance areas.

A big fund cant just walk in and say I want to trade now. They have to be smart... they look at charts. (although I suppose we dark pools its getting easier.)

Its ridiculous to think funds do not use t/a. When I read about surfs buddy vn... say he does not believe in trends but he does mean reversion trades... I here that T/A does not work but mine does.

Stats are t/a.

#21     Jan 7, 2013
  2. exactly-- it becomes quant when its tested and quantified-- too bad pattern and chart TA can't be tested hence it always belonging to retail and other mystics. surf

#22     Jan 7, 2013
  3. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

I disagree. My personal definition is that TA is doing stats like computation without applying the theories of statistics.

#23     Jan 7, 2013
  4. It could be quantified, but it would take a long time to code chart patterns.

#24     Jan 7, 2013
  5. Wrong, Jem. No disrespect meant, but this is not correct. If you use stats you don't need "charts" and "patterns"-- which are the fundamental tool of technical analysis.

#25     Jan 7, 2013
  6. I was talking to the guy who made this site over the week:
    http://www.thepatternsite.com/patternz.html

He's coded up some of the chart patterns. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's quantified. Unfortunately he had no interest in giving me his algorithms.

#26     Jan 7, 2013
  7. just21

just21

Trend following is ta and that is a mainstay of hedge funds and cta's.

#27     Jan 7, 2013
  8. jem

jem

what? are you kidding me? now I understand why you keep saying t/a does not work. you have no idea what a chart is supposed to do for traders who make money.

a chart should give us the same info as a stats trader and more.

stats are tracking historical performance and activities.
    that is t/a.

for instance
    the indicators many use are just a graphical representation of stats.

----
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/technicalanalysis.asp#axzz2HJUnngyW

Definition of 'Technical Analysis'
    A method of evaluating securities by analyzing statistics generated by market activity, such as past prices and volume. Technical analysts do not attempt to measure a security's intrinsic value, but instead use charts and other tools to identify patterns that can suggest future activi

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/technicalanalysis.asp#ixzz2HJXLbxNe

#28     Jan 7, 2013
  9. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

This is a rather simplistic view of stats.

#29     Jan 7, 2013
  10. jem

jem

but even complicated views of stats are still t/a. even if they could not easily show up on a chart.

1. lets say you developed a reversion to the mean program to arb stocks back into line with the futures.
    you could use a spreadsheet or an app
    or you could use a chart
    they are both t/a.

2. some very complicated option stats can still be represented graphically.

3. when at stats not t/a?

Essentially the stats vs T/A debate was really marketing.
    stats are part of T/A.

#30     Jan 7, 2013