Hedge Funds and Private Equity Alter Career Calculus

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dtrader98, Sep 21, 2007.

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/business/16mba.html?_r=1&ref=education&oref=slogin

"At funds that manage $1 billion to $3 billion, people with just a few years of finance experience will make $337,000 this year, Mr. Zoia says, and those with five to nine years of experience will average $830,000, up 6 percent from last year. These estimates include analysts and researchers but not portfolio traders, who can make much more because they sometimes share in profits."

Why study engineering, law, or medicine?
    :confused:

2. Most of these guys are Engineers :)

New breed of elite traders are all Math, Physics, Quant Finance type guys.

3. The guy who barely survives Rush Med gets the same board certifications as the guy who graduates from Harvard and does residency at Mass General. Professional degrees are binary. Background is much more significant in finance and billion-dollar funds are hyper-selective.

4. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

fund managers are usually the owners of the 'business'

they are businessman

a senior vp makes $500K these days and some two bit sport player makes millions...they are employees so the salary they write the check..

why because law,medicine,and engineering are in demand. there aren't that many fund managers in the big scheme of employment. you can't have everyone being a fund manager there is only one..so the employment opportunities or fund manager is limited. l

5. Why study anything taught in college at all?

Report: Prospective Cubs ownership set to offer A-Rod megadeal

September 23, 2007

NEW YORK (TICKER) -- Alex Rodriguez is setting himself up for a huge offseason.

New York Magazine reported on Sunday that Rodriguez could end up with the Chicago Cubs next season with a contract that could be worth as much as $30 million a year for 10 years and includes an ownership stake in the team.

The All-Star third baseman can opt-out of the $252 million contract he signed with the Texas Rangers six years ago at the end of this season.

6. This is like publishing about a lottery winner and saying, "why work?"

College grads make about twice what High school grads do. But if you prefer your kids flipping burgers, then by all means...

7. As a business school student, I find relevance to my feelings in this article.

8. I'm sorry but within context, Mr. Zoia's statement appears rather slanted.

If your motivation is purely monetary:time then perhaps but what of position availability?

We seem to be approaching a node in the industry niche of quants.

I'm confident after the dust settles the next phase will begin but I believe the bar will be raised for entry level positions.

Meanwhile as previously stated, private funds will continue to develop and refine this field WITH the help of engineers, mathematicians and scientists.

After that, it's anyones guess.

9. ajna

ajna

The ironic thing in medicine is that the guy with the best pedigree will likely have the better research experience and publications, which in turn will yield the more prestigious academic appointment. Yet that guy will make a fraction of what the fellow who graduated from east Jesus state and practices in an undesirable part of the country. It all depends on how you define success.

10. No need to work when you can go long and make $

#10     Sep 24, 2007