Hedge Fund

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ShoeshineBoy, May 1, 2002.

1. Turlo

Turlo

I trade at a Prop. firm. Many of my cohorts have been approached by hedge funds. Several of them came from hedge funds.

Return on equity is the only thing that matters.... Either you make money or you do not....... that being said there is no better way to learn how to make money than getting out there and trading....

:cool:

#41     May 2, 2002
  2. Turlo

Turlo

What is the big deal?

Either you trade and make money or you do not.
    If you do not then you go teach econ. courses.
    If you do then you trade for a living, trading your own money, managing money, or running a hedge fund.

In trading credentials have nothing to do with trading ability.

Trading ability has everything to do with running a hedge fund.

a+b=c

#42     May 2, 2002
  3. liltrdr

liltrdr

As much as the flame war between institutional people and daytraders is entertaining, it doesn't get us anywhere on Elite. No knowledge shared. Nothing gained. How about you two have a duel. :)

Post up some sheets/w-2's w/ names blacked out...anything. It doesn't matter who's numbers are bigger. Odds are they'll be close w/ one guy making a little less or more. The point being traders are traders. Money is money.

#43     May 2, 2002

4. They would not be close. They would not even be in the same hemisphere. I have no personal vendettas, I just resent unwarranted arrogance.

Oh, and it's not about institutions vs daytraders either. I have nothing against institutions per se, and I am not a daytrader.

#44     May 2, 2002
  5. lets see it then

#45     May 2, 2002

6. Tell you what. Just so happens a friend recently gave me about 80K to see what I can do with it.

You open an account of similar size (chump change for you I'm sure) and after two months of trading- end of June- we both post our results on this very thread.

#46     May 2, 2002
  7. liltrdr

liltrdr

Are you up to the challenge? Or how about you just post up your numbers or w-2. A trading challenge may not be your style. You're on a bonus plan instead of percentage p/l right? This way, anyone can challenge your supremacy if they choose. I think that would be best.

#47     May 2, 2002
  8. compliance restrictions prevent me from taking up any trading challenges, but i'll post a W2.

#48     May 2, 2002
  9. trader99

trader99

Hmm.. I hope it's NOT a war between inst. v daytraders or whatever. Because it's kinda comparing apples to oranges.

But anyhow, I think a LOT of ppl on here are missing the point. It's NOT about $$$. I mean sure money is great and in way it reflects your performance. But TRULY great traders don't think about $ when they trade or even after they done a trade. They think about :
    1) Did they follow their strategy correct?
    2) Did they enter correctly (according to their strategy)
    3) Did they exit correctly (according to their strategy)
    4) Did they handle losses correctly?

So, if a trader has a really solid strategy and follows it exactly then he's a truly great trader. The $$ will come as a result. Thinking only about $ will almost guarantee poor performance.

So, it doesn't matter if you have a $10K account or a $100M or $1B fund.

Because sometiems winning is losing and losing is winner. Let's say you didn't follow your rule but by luck your last trade was a winner. That is not really winning. And let's say you follow your rules and your last trade was a loser, that is actually a winnign trade because it teaches good habit and discipline.

Do that and remember that and you'll be a great trader with all the $ you'll even want..

But sadly enough, most people can't!

They rather have turf wars,etc.

trader99

#49     May 2, 2002
  10. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ....Is the market closed today

#50     May 2, 2002