Hedge Fund Strategies

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by dima777, Aug 15, 2008.

1. dubes

dubes

The Credit Suisse/Tremont Hedge Fund Index lists the following strategies:

Convertible Arbitrage
    Dedicated Short Bias
    Emerging Markets
    Equity Market Neutral
    Event Driven
    Distressed
    Event Driven Multi-Strategy
    Risk Arbitrage
    Fixed Income Arbitrage
    Global Macro
    Long/Short Equity
    Managed Futures
    Multi-Strategy

Wikipedia has a short blurb on each of the strategies.

I agree with Frank Thomas that most hedge funds are looking for a spread to trade, which, if the spread is closing, a contrarian strategy.

I think it's possible for a small retail trader to do some of these strategies, but it's hard to start from scratch. I don't think I'd be able to do it if I started on my own with just books.

#41     Aug 17, 2008
  2. Predict a value on two securities. Short the overvalued and buy the undervalued, and if they're perfectly negatively correlated you can simply buy the undervalued and this is sufficient for shorting one and going long the other. Basically go long at twice the size does the same thing.

#42     Aug 17, 2008
  3. Great. Since you are so knowledgeable, why don't you solve the OP.

#43     Aug 18, 2008
  4. dima777

dima777

I am wondering why such huge institutions would depart from the technical analysis to the statistics.....is this the one which really works? and if most hedge funds use stats it doesnt take long to come to the conclusion that the traditional technical analysis no longer works..and is nothing short of a way to intice unknowing majority into a game won by those who use entirely diffferent methods....in other words, is there a TECHNICAL ANALYSIS CONSPIRACY???!!!! :) :)

#44     Aug 18, 2008
  5. TA = Statistics in most cases. A Moving Average is a low-pass filter which eliminates noise and focuses on drift, Stochastic is high-pass that detrends data and focuses on noise.

Time Series = Noise + Drift

Noise is usually a mean-reverting process, Drift is trend-following. HF like trading noise due to the higher-frequency of trades, bunch of reasons for that. If they can identify the drift thru seasonal patterns or recognition they'll do that too. Most funds do the same thing so the ones with the best infrastrucute and reduced latency usually win.

Relative value looks for deviation of a price with anything that holds a statistical relationship, model price, MA, security, market, whatever....

These are broad broad generalizations...

#45     Aug 18, 2008
  6. wave

wave

Excellent knocks.

#46     Aug 18, 2008
  7. The TA you see in books at Barnes&Noble is basically worthless. If value is "found" it disappears after accounting for slippage, commissions and other trading costs.

It has been studied to death and found wanting

However, that does not stop tends of thousands of lemmings from buying the books and expecting to make profits.

On EliteTrader, are huge amounts of TA lovers who scream and cry and yell when you gore the sacred cow. Look very carefully for the proof they refuse to provide in return. TA is a powerful religion, similar to Jack Hersheyism.

#47     Aug 18, 2008
  8. dima777

dima777

I think we should look differently at TA..it is only a collection of tools that a skillful trader can combine to draw his own trading system..in the same manner an artist draws a painting....it doesn't make sense to criticize colors if the artist simply cannot paint...

#48     Aug 18, 2008
  9. dima777

dima777

thanks for interesting ideas here..:cool:

#49     Aug 18, 2008
  10. TA is a collection of things that have been thoroughly studied and found relatively useless.

It therefore makes a lot of sense to criticize when the artist throws in a bunch of animal droppings into his paint...

In addition to many studies, think about the industry position that probably 90% of new leveraged traders lose their money, and couple that with the fact that probably 90% of those traders also depend heavily on some form of TA.

#50     Aug 19, 2008