Hedge Fund Strategies

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by dima777, Aug 15, 2008.

1. dima777

dima777

yep..their site plainly says that:
    http://www.careers.sac.com/

#21     Aug 17, 2008
  2. The point is, that I would put my programming experience and many meetings with the algorithmic and system designers at 2 IBs over your "I think, I read the literature, Probably" statements...

#22     Aug 17, 2008
  3. since you are such an expert because of your readings, why don't you tell the OP how the hedge funds do it. You can start with a detailed statement of the exact "technicals" that SAC uses...

#23     Aug 17, 2008
  4. chvid

chvid

TraderZones: I am sorry I should have put this in another way.

You have experience from two investment banks and have had many meetings with algorithmic and system designers.

Maybe you can give some more detailed examples of what strategies are employed?

#24     Aug 17, 2008
  5. TraderZones has worked for 2 IB’s in algo trading and knows so much more then every one else here. Yet he does not want to share any his VALUABLE information and has had the time to post 1280 times since march.

Here is a formula for everyone TraderZones=ET Troll
    :eek:

#25     Aug 17, 2008
  6. dima777

dima777

thank you all for your replies...I think it is unrealistic to expect someone to give full disclosure of the methods used by the hedge funds if he has experience working with them....I am interested in general description...and maybe a couple of simplistic real-life examples....not anything absolutely proprietary...

#26     Aug 17, 2008
  7. Do hedge funds use support and resistance levels?

#27     Aug 17, 2008
  8. Dima777,
    I agree with you, I don’t expect anyone to share anything proprietary either. I think the thread you started can make for an interesting discussion for informational purposes. The stuff hedge funds do for the most part can not be easily replicated any way. Those guys spend fortunes on their infrastructure alone in oder to trade their strategies.

It just seemed to me that TraderZones was just flaming. “look at me I work for IB’s and know more then any of you and I am not sharing”. It just seems to me if a person worked with a “big” algo trading operation and happened to be here on ET, they would throw in their .02 on the subject or just be a reader and keep their thoughts to their self.

Anyway, from what I know about hedge funds (which is not very much) is that they really like trading strategies that are based around some sort arb strategy. In general they do not trade the direction of price. Some people I met a while back who ran a small fund traded a lot of yield curve spreads and would try and sell different option spreads against their positions. I know they were doing pretty good with it 04-07 don’t know how well they were able to adapt when things changed last year…..

#28     Aug 17, 2008
  9. Hit the nail on the head....

#29     Aug 17, 2008
  10. Why would you have to use either? Stat arb, etc. pure math, Stand Dev. and such forth ... only a sample of the universe on how to see the market. what is right? no clue, dont care. use what works for you ... and what level of trader you are ... this game is a never ending game of change and progression!

#30     Aug 17, 2008