Hedge Fund Seeks Recent College Grad to be Top-Notch Admin Assistant (Midtown)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by knocks420, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Add from Craigslist: Response below

Reply to: job-nhx9k-1224246136@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Date: 2009-06-16, 11:42AM EDT

Successful hedge fund manager seeks first-rate, super smart, recent college graduate to help answer phones, pay bills, file, organize travel, speak to companies, and do anything and everything that needs to get done around the office. This is not a job for a career administrative assistant, but rather a two-year stop for a hungry, savvy college grad, who is looking to learn the ropes and get his or her foot in the door. Please only apply is you had top grades from preferrably a top school and are interested in pursuing a career in finance or on Wall Street. Please only apply is you speak perfect English. Please only apply if you have a great attitude -- so that no job too little or too big is a problem. Please only apply is you are willing to do things the way your boss wants them to get done -- regardless of whether you think it's the best way to do the job. Please only apply is you are great at following instructions. Please only apply if you have an upbeat, can-do, outgoing personality. Please only apply if you have a slight case of OCD and a serious drive to do things right -- the first time. Perfectionists welcome.

This is a blatant contradiction:

Successful hedge fund manager seeks first-rate, super smart, recent college graduate. Please only apply is you had top grades from preferrably a top school... (preferably spelled wrong)

Please only apply is you are willing to do things the way your boss wants them to get done -- regardless of whether you think it's the best way to do the job. Please only apply is you are great at following instructions. (is you are great?? is you had top grads? is you are??)

So you want a really really really smart person to be a robot? Do exactly as you say and no different? Do you also sell naked puts?
    Fascinating.

2. ElCubano

ElCubano

who izzz this fund?

3. SAC? Millenium? Possibly RenTech?

;)

4. Def not SAC... located in Stamford, CT anyhow.

I would assume this is a tiny hedge fund based on the job description. Big funds have plenty of support for those kinds of tasks.

I wouldn't complain about the contradiction. Sounds like a great learning experience for any recent grad. I picked up phones and did a lot of boring things previously as a Merrill Lynch intern, but I was also able to learn a lot by being inquisitive and just learning the business.

5. And it led to a moderator position on ET.....?

6. Monty, you should reply. It looks like a first-rate opp. SAC has a NYC office, so you never know...

7. It should begin like this:

YO YO YO Steve C-to-the-Ohen!

I'm done seen your shizy on CL. I be down for whatever, ya heard?

Holla Back!

8. I don't think Merrill Lynch has anything to do with ET.:p

But I did personally trade a $350,000 account for a private fund in Stamford, Ct for about year... Unfortunately our parent company shut the division down. Anyway I'm going be doing the same thing in July for another firm (not sure exactly how much capital yet).

But yes.. for a recent college grad the priority should be to get a foot into the door. The experience is priceless, especially at a hedge fund. You will learn a lot by doing clerical work. You will frequently interact with the top traders and learn from them. No college graduate with a B.A. will be doing anything too important anyway. M.B.A Ivy grad trading assistants fetch coffee to their alpha-male bosses.

This is a great opportunity, especially during a recession.

9. I agree but see its a Catch-22. Taking a clerical entry level to get the foot in the door is a smart, well thought out idea.

This manager does not want you to think. Therefore anyone applying for the job is automatically disqualified because the manager does not want the applicant to think.

10. Everyone starts out as a robot... unless you create your own business. It's worth getting experience.

Hedge funds are all about algo trading anyhow, so they may prefer robots. Sometimes thinking too much is detrimental. (Analysis paralysis)

#10     Jun 17, 2009