Hedge Fund Manager? A question

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by fritos65, Nov 16, 2011.

1. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

I know of a southwest ct HF charging 1% and 10%.

Often times HF's will forgo all fees if they barely break even that year (from what I've heard)...

#22     Nov 30, 2011
  2. bone

bone

I find it fascinating that there exists trading groups whose business model has devolved into liquidity rebates as the primary source of income. Not really trading, and a simple exchange legislative / policy change can destroy their world.

#23     Nov 30, 2011
  3. Epic

Epic

This is true as a generalization, but not on an individual basis. This business is just like all others out there. You charge what you can in order to maximize profits over the long term. If a fund is performing like a mutual fund, which happens to be about 90% of them, then clients are going to demand mutual fund level fees.

But there are still some of us with high alpha and very low beta, and I haven't had anyone question my fees yet, which are currently 0/30. But my returns aren't typical either.

#24     Dec 1, 2011
  4. I'm involved in a $50MM start-up that will be reporting to Barc, among others, in 2012.

#25     Dec 1, 2011
  5. Epic

Epic

Any legitimate Fund Manager or CTA will not be able to provide numbers on performance expectations on a public forum. You must be vetted as a potential client and given a proper disclosure document.

#26     Dec 1, 2011
  6. i completely agree. i was only talking about the mutual fund clones. you're model (zero management fees) is preferable.

#27     Dec 2, 2011
  7. JakeGreen

JakeGreen

I have turned down $2 billion to manage this year, and have returned 100% of client's funds and their profits. I do that every December. I still date some of my clients' daughters. Well, to be honest, they really they date me.

#28     Dec 2, 2011
  8. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

FYI- in a nutshell, hedge funds far outperform any mutual fund arrangement, ad the reason why they're not accessible to anyone not a millionaire is because of Washington's goal of the elite maintaining power (their stated reason during the great depression was that 'rich people can fend for themselves.')

#29     Dec 2, 2011
  9. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Also, to answer the guys question, as a rule of thumb most hf's of varying sizes from $300m to $50b make 20%-60+% per year. Of course nothing is guaranteed in this business, so when there is a drop down, things get dramatic between people! Hedge finds wont disclose their record without an NDA- which is bad because they cant advertise, but good if they're performing terribly and don't want to face the music just yet. (I want you to suspend disbelief and read cramer's first book confessions of a street addict - it was written for professionals and competent traders, and is actually a decent read about wall street and the 90s)

#30     Dec 2, 2011