Hedge Fund Job: Ground Floor

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cosmokramer, Feb 7, 2010.

1. First of all, what do you have to offer a hedge fund? Do you have any skills? Are you a sharp guy? Can you work? Do you have the Ivy League degree?

Regardless, if you want to get into a hedge fund, you do so via support level positions or an internship or an entry level trader/analyst position (much much harder).

Finally, if you actually have capital, why don't look at a strategy that you can apply it to and do a few transactions. If you have found something that is unique and has an edge, a lot more hedge funds will look at you seriously and as something worth of value.

#21     Feb 8, 2010
  2. See blokes, I DON"T have any of those special qualities that would make me hireable by a hedge fund. This is my only chance to get into one. They are legit and run about a 100 's of millions AUM with plans of expansion. very few people qualify to go the traditional route. This is the chance for the rest of us.

Get in, get liked, get hired. Makes sense to me, far more sense than the suggestions hear about starting as an intern--- this way i start as a trader. Its kinda like buying your way in. I understand you poor bullockers who can't accomplish this need to make up excuses as to why you wont do it when the truth is you simply don't have the capital resouces or time to deidcate to you dreams.

CKy

#22     Feb 8, 2010
  3. They train you blokes! Hedgefunds dont want cowboys running with all kinds of untested tactics and claims. they train you to trade profitable methods at no charge!! Why come up with a strategy when I can hedge fund trade with their strategy? You are looking at this upside down and backwards. No wonder no one understands the quaility of this situation.

#23     Feb 8, 2010
  4. l2tradr

l2tradr

You're right. Go for it! Good luck! And please, come back and let the board know how it went.

#24     Feb 8, 2010

5. Thanks! I need to sign a NCND agreement so I will not be posting here again. Too much negativity here anyway.

Cky

#25     Feb 8, 2010
  6. l2tradr

l2tradr

No worries, it's understandable. I will be sure to keep my eye on Bloomberg news or Forbes to read of your success! Go get'em!

#26     Feb 8, 2010
  7. You're the one who does not understand how it works. No legit hedge fund will ever ask you to fund your own account. Real hedge funds hire employees, who are incentivized by end of year bonuses.

That "hedge fund" is nothing more than a bucket shop disguised with a cute marketing edge to sucker in more victims.

#27     Feb 8, 2010
  8. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

Ask about a job on Sunday and got "hired" on Monday?

Your handle fits you well. Cosmo Cramer was the comic relief.

Good luck, broke!

#28     Feb 8, 2010
  9. See bloke, if its true what you claim and you dont have any of the qualities it takes to land a job at a hedge fund chances are you wont like it there anyway. its a cutthroat environment, meritocracy rules, you will be spit out in no time if you dont produce anything. Another issue is, do you know how much a trading seat per year costs as overhead? Several hundred thousand dollars, and thats only overhead, hedge funds usually charge per seat in terms of opportunity cost. The seat you take away could have been staffed by a senior trader with a track record of reeking in at least 15-20 bucks per year. So, I think you better get back to the drawing board and re-think why you want to work at a hedge fund. Sounds to me you like the sound to it, thats pretty much it.

You dont sound you have what it takes to bite through the initial red tape and hurdles....

#29     Feb 8, 2010
  10. I think he is shilling. Or just really really dumb & naive. Or both.

#30     Feb 8, 2010