Hedge Fund Job: Ground Floor

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cosmokramer, Feb 7, 2010.

1. No, I have plenty o cash saved up. Just looking for a shot to trade on the inside with a hedge fund.

I think many here fit this same description, without the pedigree but with the $$ and desire to hedge trade.

not everyone is a broke bloke--its quite telling that most here think that way.

ck

#11     Feb 7, 2010
  2. cstfx

cstfx

3. I guess for the poor blokes, fast money book addicts, gamblers, forex dreamers and bullocks that populate this site, who have no capital and need a "paying job" it isnt for you.

once again, how else can i get into a hedge fund? No one seems to be able to answer,,,

#13     Feb 7, 2010
  4. The quick, easy answer is simply to start your own. Good luck.

#14     Feb 7, 2010
  5. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

If we are all "poor blokes" how the f*/k would we know?

#15     Feb 7, 2010
  6. why dont you study for the GMAT and polish your other credentials you may have and apply for grad school? That way you earn your inside track.

But believe me, only after reading the first 2-3 lines its apparently clear that this has nothing to do with a serious outlet, sounds much more like a bucket shop. I wont pursue it at any cost. Rather start working in some middle or back office of an i-bank, much more promising as long as you keep your priorities and goals straight.

Just my 2 cents... good luck

#16     Feb 7, 2010
  7. traderhf

traderhf

Cosmo,
    V.Sorry for being blunt, but you genuinely do not understand the way industry works. What Asiaprop say is 'the' way to go about getting a job in a hedge fund. Berkeley/MIT/Stan guys face 'severe' competition from their own classmates as far as getting into a trading etc role at a good ibank/hf is concerned. The thing you are so excited about is not a 'hedge fund', they are marketing themselves in this way, so as to catch gullible people. Having read their ad, its absolutely clear they are not a hedge fund, I would even refuse to talk to them, because they are trying to deceive folks out here!

To answer your question how to go about getting a job in a hf, get a masters/Phd or an MBA from a decent college. Without these, I am afraid, you will need to be an outlier. The example of an outlier I would take is Kenneth Griffin, the undergrad who started Citadel! Read about him on wiki. There was a cover story on him by institutional investor, if i remember correctly, you can get link of that cover story on wiki as well, at the bottom of wiki in references.

I am very sorry if I am sounding hopeless, but better live in truth rather than grand delusions!
    Best,

#17     Feb 7, 2010
  8. Why would a hedge fund look to hire people with no trading experience?

I can't believe people actually fall for this stuff.

#18     Feb 7, 2010
  9. cstfx

cstfx

From the above mentioned ET thread a while back on the same "hedge fund" that OP is hawking:

#19     Feb 8, 2010
  10. Are you serious? Listen kid, you need to educate yourself. That is not a job posting, it's a scheme to have you put down money and churn it away in commissions.

I understand your drive to get a job at a hedge fund, but so far you are showing that you lack the basic intelligence, common sense and critical thinking for it.

#20     Feb 8, 2010