Hedge fund in trouble

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Jun 12, 2006.

1. A lot of hedge funds have invested heavily in home builders and have been getting hurt lately. I think Jim Cramer may have tried to help out a few of his old Goldman Sachs buddies by saying that the home builder stocks are starting to look way too cheap.

#21     Jun 12, 2006
  2. Hey, don't you get it. It's OPM, and thats all the reason these hustlers need to shoot for the moon.

#22     Jun 12, 2006
  3. If the manager doesn't do well, they don't earn incentive fees. Management fees cover overhead- unless it is a huge fund the managers are not getting rich off of it. Therefore, the interests of the manager are aligned with the investor- i.e. the investor makes money, the manager makes money. Most PMs manage risk very well, occasionally you have a blowout or bad trade, same as you daytrading guys, but on a larger scale....

#23     Jun 13, 2006
  4. I agree to a certain extent. But there is an inherent conflict of interest there, which is why hedge funds are restricted to accredited/sophisticated investors. True, management fees won't make any significant money, but the managers have a lot to gain and very little to lose by taking too much risk. I think that for the most part they want to perform well, but the way the fee schedules are setup promotes excessive risk taking to a certain extent.

#24     Jun 13, 2006
  5. Prevail

Prevail Guest

often it is simply an ego which gets a manager in trouble.

#25     Jun 13, 2006
  6. seriously?

#26     Jun 13, 2006
  7. Yes, it's like an option. High volatility/high risk is always good to the holders( in this case the fund managers).

#27     Jun 13, 2006
  8. Looks like the premium sellers are paying the piper.

#28     Jun 13, 2006
  9. newbunch

newbunch

About time.

And I bet the commodity longs who pyramided are getting crushed by gold today.

A lot of wealth being lost recently.

#29     Jun 13, 2006

10. Not lost but redistributed.

#30     Jun 13, 2006