hedge fund idea

Discussion in 'Trading' started by hedgez, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Make a prospect list of the top 10-20 hedge fund managers. (i.e. Tudor Jones, Trout, Soros, etc, etc)
    Prepare professional presentation. (graphs, general summary of strategy)
    Call them & pitch your idea. Have them sign an NDA before disclosing all details.

The heavy hitters are always looking for new strategies & if your idea is solid & communicated well u will find the $'s.

Hit the pavement! Good-luck

#31     Sep 18, 2002
  2. Yeah... a trader knows a trader best... going to a hedge fund is what I would do.

Also, working with other traders is one of the best ways to improve your trading.

#32     Sep 18, 2002
  3. It's just that the 95% of us want to hold you back, right?

#33     Sep 18, 2002
  4. u130747

u130747

Get a job to pay your bills. Save enough to trade. Once your system is tested with real money then come back. Otherwise get a life.

Bert:D :D :D

#34     Sep 18, 2002
  5. Hendrix

Hendrix

Hedgez
    You don't know me, so you will have to take my word on the fact that I am the least cynical person you will ever (not) meet.

The cynicism on this thread is cynicism born of realism from people who have been there, done that.

There are any number of snake oil salesmen out there. The comments on this thread are not necessarily people being negative about you or your trading system. Consider it a reality check. We all start off with stars in their eyes, and are hit hard with reality pretty quickly. If the comments on this thread manage to remove some of those stars, then you will look back and consider it well worth it.

Don't give up, and good luck.

#35     Sep 18, 2002
  6. In my broker'n days I've come across more than a few who could throw down real $$, and willingly would. But you'd be damn sure either they're stupid (unlikely cause they got coin, but there was a few..) or they're very smart and savy, and they will need to see that you are willing to put it on the line. Cause as it stands that (if) you are willing to take a big risk yourself, then that is probably the only real credential that a whale would look at and be willing to take a shot on your idea, then the sky's the limit.

Good luck.

#36     Sep 18, 2002
  7. stock or stock index futures contests

if you place in the top 5 that would be a good feather
    in your cap ... and a might be a good way to get someone to notice you

good luck

#37     Sep 18, 2002
  8. cpo

cpo Guest

hedgez:

I am not sure that's the fire way to get the money you need. If you do have a trading strategy to convince a conservative investor, then you will end up thinking to yourself: "hey, I do not need your money! I will make it for myself!"

I mean, this business is no risk free. So your investors are supposed to be risk takers too. Therefore I would suggest you to provide your potential customers with a good risk disclosure first.

That said, I suppose you would have to try other alternatives to call the money. Relationships seem to be the best path to good sales.

PEACE and good sales,

cpo

#38     Sep 18, 2002
  9. Sashe

Sashe

Hedgez, this is what I did to raise money back in the late 90s.

I had a system that was making 0.8%-1% /day gross trading pair spreads and I actually traded it with my own money (thanks to the invention of MasterCard). I could only afford trading 200 share of each side at those times(only had 6500 on NDB acct) so the commissions part ($15/side/ticket) would take away all the happiness.

I wanted to move up a level and start to work with bigger capital. I had to find it somewhere and after brainstorming my address book I came up with just one candidate. I made a call and told the guy that I have a business proposal about stocks trading.

All I had to do to make him to believe that my trading system was worth a shot was to say that I was willing to put up my own $6500 as the "collateral" for the 50K I am looking for. In other word I was to start with $56500 and if my P&L went down $6500 the acct would be closed no questions asked and $50K should be returned back.

Due to the increased leverage I had to adjust my risk management system accordingly. The another risk was the the overnights so I had to hedge by OTM options.
    Everything worked out just fine (I made 13K within the next 4 months).Then the Internet stox era came in 98 and trading pairs had become kind of obsolete and not reasonable for the next 3-4 years ( as it turned out). I am back to trading pairs these days but that is another story.

#39     Sep 19, 2002
  10. Which bull markets have you traded with this system?

#40     Sep 19, 2002