hedge fund idea

Discussion in 'Trading' started by hedgez, Sep 18, 2002.

1. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

I still stick by qwiktrade's 5 proven ways to raise cash:

Top 5 ways to raise that much cash..

1.- Rob a bank.. yes, its an oldie but a goodie.. all you need is a ski mask, a gun and some chumps to help you haul away the money.. the downside is the possibility of becoming "Lifetime Harry's" new girlfriend over on cell block eight..

2.- Charm a rich widower.. hey, old people need some lovin too.. of course this one could take some time to mature, or for her to expire i should say..

3.- Take out a large insurance policy on your spouse.. accidents happen you know.. besides, do you really think she will stand idly by while you snooker up to the widow in #2?

4.- Sue McDonalds.. slip on the floor and pretend to hurt your neck.. or pretend a hot pickle jumped off your hamburger and burned your tongue.. ya know, thats actually happened before..

5.- kidnap someone famous.. like chelsea clinton or Donald Trumps daughter, wife, whatever she is.. then you just hold them until you get your ransom.. of course in the case of Chelsea, i doubt the Clintons would want her back, they wouldnt want to lose the publics sympathy from having such an ongoing tragedy.. (and they would likely blame their daughter being kidnaped on the Bush tax cut).. and as for the slinky chick on DT's arm.. well, i dont think you could get him to pay much more than the going rate.. but heck, its a start..

=)

-qwik

Sorry, couldn't resist...but that thread still cracks me up.

Seriously though, you're going to have a hard time convincing someone to put up cash for a system that has never traded real money. That's because anyone with system testing software can create a system that did phenomenal in the past but sucks in live trading (I've developed a boatload of those). Until it proves itself with money on the line, no one will trust it. Who wants to be a guinea pig in this business?

What doesn't make sense to me is that you want someone else to risk their money on your idea but you are not willing to risk your own on it...that won't instill confidence in your investors. If your current method of trading is better/less risky/whatever, then just stick with it since its working for you until you are confident enough in your new method to risk $ on it.

#21     Sep 18, 2002
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

dont give up kid......get a list and dial, it can be that easy...make a pitch and dial away you would be surprised at how much money persistance can raise...there are whales out there that have nothing better to do than throw you a bone......obviously it all depnds on how much money u need raised......

#22     Sep 18, 2002
  3. hedgez please read:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=8888

What makes you different from this guy?

Also, if you were 95% better than me or others in here. Why write and ask in this forum?

If I was as good as you, I wouldn't have any problems with raising capital. I'd goto a large hedge fund (If I was good as you, I'll be able to afford to go) tell them what you have, show them at that moment by trading, get a job, outperform every trader in the firm, and have 10,000,000+ under me to trade.

I don't claim to be better, though, I claim to be different and respect differences, because I know I am different.

#23     Sep 18, 2002
  4. hedgez

hedgez

Thank you. There is so much cynicism on this website, it's kind of depressing. Some people spend way too much time telling people how it can't be done.

#24     Sep 18, 2002
  5. CEObeaver

CEObeaver

You should try a prop firm... I hear hold bros and generic will let you hold positions overnite. The splits might not be very good at first, but as you prove yourself you may get better commissions and payouts. Good luck

#25     Sep 18, 2002
  6. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

cynicism or realism?

Sorry to throw cold water on you. I really hope you find what you are looking for. I don't mean to be negative. My personal belief is "go for it" no matter what anyone tells you.

Good luck chasing your whale. I hope you catch it.

#26     Sep 18, 2002
  7. Obviously you don't know how it CAN be done, do you?

You are getting some good and bad suggestions, now the ball is in your court to do the work.

If you get depressed by comments on a message board, how do you think you are going to do in real live when investors reject your proposals?

You had better toughen up son if you think it is easy raising cash in this environment of a bear market, risk adverse market, terrorist cloudy market. You aint gonna make it if you don't learn to take the hundreds of no's to get to the one yes.

#27     Sep 18, 2002
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

with the right pitch, attitude, sincerity and lots of calls to the right people( not the secretary or the gate keeper).....you can bag MOBY DICK....money has been raised via phone calls for movies and for other crazier ideas, than trading....on a call..

I agree 100% with 777....you will get rejected 1000 times before some one may even litsen to you....

#28     Sep 18, 2002
  9. Hedgez, he is right. Just think about how many Spam e-mails and chain letters are mailed/posted everyday. Or, take any message board scam/solicitation in general for that matter. :) If you can make money on 1/1000 of those...

#29     Sep 18, 2002
  10. nugya

nugya

hedge,

you are at the wrong address for selling investment opportunities. If people here can trust their money to somebody else's decision, they would have invest in funds rather then trade themselves.

Baron: Could you pls move this thread to "hook up" as hedge really wants to find a partner rather then exchange trading ideas

#30     Sep 18, 2002