Hedge Fund Hell: Arbitrage in Financials Backfires

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ASusilovic, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ventus

ventus

i must say, that is very impressive. i'm guessing you either trade a short-term (high frequency?) or trend-following strategy?

i trade at a multi-billion dollar fund and we had our best year last year as well...but our 40% return pales in comparison to your monster 65%. hope you keep up the good work and show that there are some extremely talented funds still kicking.

#11     Apr 9, 2009
  2. AK100

AK100

Yeah, like I'm going to believe a hedge fund manager that tells me, or even tries to prove, that they've got x% of their money in the fund.

Whatever it takes to make the sale........

#12     Apr 9, 2009
  3. A Billion+ USD fund returning 40% is more impressive.

#13     Apr 9, 2009
  4. I suppose, the fund you are working for has no "lock up" period ? When are investors allowed to make redemptions ? Monthly ? Quarterly ?

#14     Apr 9, 2009
  5. ljmlmvlhk

ljmlmvlhk Guest

How’s this for a strategy....

Run a trading fund.
    When quality stocks or the market as a whole begins to turn up from a downtrend, the fund insiders put their own money to work within the fund.
    As the trend matures, the fund managers slowly pull their dosh out and replace it with dumb retailer money.

I’ve got a suspicion this goes on, near tops, high volumes and prices creeping along more slowly (churning).
    Institutional insiders pulling their money out and replacing it with the dumb money they are meant to be guardians of.

I don’t have facts, just a thought…

Anything is possible.

#15     Apr 9, 2009
  6. Eight

Eight

If you can think about it for five seconds and it makes your stomach churn.... then somebody is doing it...

#16     Apr 9, 2009
  7. ventus

ventus

i agree. times like these are when having a diversified mix of strategies, portfolios, and traders really shine.

#17     Apr 9, 2009
  8. ventus

ventus

to my understanding, and i may be wrong here, we have quarterly lock-up periods with a month in advance notice. despite our strong returns, we are still seeing redemptions from fofs who have capital locked up in other funds.

#18     Apr 9, 2009
  9. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

You obviously don't know very many good ones because there are plenty that have that and more.

#19     Apr 9, 2009
  10. ventus

ventus

+1

#20     Apr 15, 2009