Hedge Fund Dream Job is Vanishing

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by trader99, Dec 5, 2018.

1. JSOP

JSOP

Hopefully they make up enough volume and provides enough liquidity.

#11     Dec 5, 2018
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Still my dream job, better than working at McDonald's.

#12     Dec 5, 2018
    apdxyk likes this.
  3. probably, markets are getting more efficient. There's no more dumb or easy money out there to supply the liquidity to the markets anymore:

•December 10, 2008, Bernard Madoff
    •January 9, 2009, the SEC charged Joseph S. Forte from Broomall, Pennsylvania
    •January 16, 2009, the United Kingdom Serious Fraud Office uncovered an £80 million buy-to-let property fraud scheme
    •January 26, 2009, Nicholas Cosmo, founder of Agape World, surrendered to federal authorities in connection with a suspected $380 million Ponzi scheme
    •February 9, 2009, the City of London Police Economic Crime Department arrested Terry Freeman
    •February 17, 2009, the Stanford International Bank and proprietor Allen Stanford were accused of "massive fraud"
    •February 25, 2009, the SEC charged James Nicholson

March 13, 2009, a 67-year-old Ohio woman named Joanne Schneider
    June 17, 2009, Donald Anthony Walker Young (also known as Tony Young or Walker Young)
    June 12, 2009, investors were reported to have lost billions of South African Rands in a Ponzi scheme masterminded by Barry Tannenbaum.
    November 16, 2009, the SEC charged four individuals and two companies for perpetrating a Ponzi scheme
    December 1, 2009: Scott W. Rothstein, a disbarred lawyer and the former managing shareholder, chairman, and chief executive officer of the now-defunct Rothstein Rosenfeldt Adler law firm was accused of funding his philanthropy, political contributions, law firm salaries, and an extravagant lifestyle with a massive $1.4 billion Ponzi scheme. Scott Rothstein turned himself in to federal authorities and was subsequently arrested on charges related to the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).[86] Rothstein was denied bond by U.S. Magistrate Judge Robin Rosenbaum, who ruled that due to his ability to forge documents, he was considered a flight risk.[87] Although his arraignment plea was not guilty, Rothstein cooperated with the Government and reversed his plea to guilty of five federal crimes on January 27, 2010. He was sentenced to 50 years, despite the prosecution asking for 40 years.[88]
    2010s

In December, 2017, the Woodbridge Group of Companies was charged as an allegded US$1.2 billion Ponzi scheme run by real estate developer Robert H. Shapiro

#13     Dec 5, 2018
  4. MKTrader

MKTrader

About the only ones making consistent money in the whole space of hedge funds, CTAs and other "alternative investing" in the financial markets (as opposed to real estate, etc.).

#14     Dec 5, 2018
  5. trader99

trader99

As I've noted in prior threads, I'm back to working Corporate America full-time. But I swing trade on the side.

I will continue to build up my trading skills while fully employed. This is the best route to hedge career risk while building trading skills and capital!

I used to dream about running my own hedge fund. Not anymore. I rather be an individual "large" private trader.

My dream is one day I can be swinging high six figures to low 7 figures private trading account. With leverage, that's plenty of money to deploy. I'm not there yet. Hopefully in 5 years time...

#15     Dec 5, 2018
    Nobert, shatteredx and fan27 like this.
  6. JSOP

JSOP

How are you doing? Haven't seen your post for a while.

#16     Dec 6, 2018
  7. trader99

trader99

I'm doing fine. I actually ENJOY my new Corporate job! I realized I have so many other useful skills both technical and soft(I'm in management). And I excel at those too. So I'll stick around for a while. It's a risk free option while I continue to hone my trading craft.

My trading is doing OK. My crypto trades have superior risk-reward. In my crypto account, my winners are huge multiples of my losers. But I don't trade that very often since I'm busy with work. I wait for the juiciest moments then go in with size. I've progressively trade bigger and bigger sizes with leverage.

My last stock trade was buy the extreme dip in PCG with stocks and options. Flipped it the next day. I also trade the occasional 3x leveraged ETFs for a quick one day flip.

I'm still stuck in my gold options. This is more of an accidental position trade.

I realize I'm better at overnights and swing trade. Position trades take too long to unfold and painful to watch.

But because I'm busy with work, it forces me to be very selective. I only pick the very best setups and trades and I put on size. And I exit the next day or a few days later.

I just hope gold explodes soon so I can exit my options.

I hope 2019 will be my breakout year in terms of large trading profits. Let's see...

#17     Dec 6, 2018
    Nobert and JSOP like this.
  8. trader99

trader99

how's your trading>

#18     Dec 6, 2018
  9. JSOP

JSOP

Congrats!! Good for you!! It's a good thing that we talked you into keeping your corporate job. :)

You are doing well in crypto. That's good to hear. You are doing better than me in that aspect. I lost count of my losses in my crypto long time ago. LOL With the market tanking, I think it's only a matter of time gold will go up. You just have to be patient a bit. Given that Trump will want to have the market propped up so the gold bull might not last long so be prepared to tp fast.

#19     Dec 6, 2018
    trader99 likes this.
  10. d08

d08

I don't disagree. I'm saying they cannot be treated as one entity, just like traders. An advanced technical fund with robust strategies doesn't compare to some nice looking suit just going long Apple, Netflix, Tesla and pretending it's some advanced strategy that is proprietary.

#20     Dec 6, 2018
    apdxyk likes this.