Hedge Fund Book

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by TimothySykes, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Absolutely untrue. Most people today forget Buffet actually ran a hedge fund in the 60s, his limited partnership. It simply became too big in order to pursue his arbitrage/deep value style. Buffet was asked I believe in 1999 what annual return he could achieve in todays markets if he "only" had to manage $1 million. His reply was "about 40% annually". And he's not really known for running his mouth or feeding people BS.

There are HF managers today that use a similar style like Buffet did, e.g. S. Klarman of Baupost and he probably is running into similar problems Buffet did: lack of opportunities as AUM grow "too big". Baupost is I believe around $8 billion and 50% in cash for quite a while now.

#31     Jun 10, 2007
  2. I don't know Bernard Baruch is the best trader of all time hands down...No, not Jesse Livermore he is to advertised these days.

#32     Jun 10, 2007
  3. I cover every single important trade I've ever done--no matter the outcome. My biggest winners will excite you, while my biggest losers will make you ask how I could have been so stupid. I even cover trades where I didn't make or lose a lot because they're still useful for learning how to trade. And I WILL COVER PRESENT DAY STUFF because I don't do anything half assed. That's why I'm saying I'm taking a little bit of a risk publishing this so it better help a lot of people.

All will be explained in the book, while definitely painful, its during these tough times that I've learned the most important lessons that will be with me for the rest of my life. No pain, no gain.

#33     Jun 10, 2007
  4. from what i understand you have made 3-5million?

well i think you know as well as anybody that 3 million cant buy you shit in this world so good luck on the book deal.

PS OTC rules:cool:

#34     Jun 11, 2007
  5. You are correct, but I'm young, I don't use margin, and I'm playing stocks that aren't even optionable so I've done alright over the past decade. Anyway, its not solely about how much money you've made, its about how much you've learned and if your experiences will help others. I'll never be able to to make $100 mil/year in my niche and probly not even $10 mil/year, but I can certainly help teach 10,000 people to make $10,000, $100,000 or even $1 million/year.

I truly respect all the biggest traders in the world and I'm sure they have some great tips/strategies to give out (not that they're offering), but they can't personally speak about risking a good portion of their personal capital in trading cuz they're playing with so many people's capital--I really don't have that so my trading stories are perfect for independent traders, not to mention people who are thinking about starting their own hedge funds.

WSW exposed me to a lot of people that are looking for honest info and that's exactly what I plan on giving them. I'll admit it, I'm not a great trader, but the sotcks I trade offer so many great opportunities, its not difficult to make a lot quickly; I wouldn't be surprised is somebody takes my experiences and lessons and makes millions of dollars in earnings, we'll just have to wait and see.

My point is that most people think of the microcap space as pure gambling and I intend to show that there's reason behind the ridiculous price moves. And when there's reason, there's predictability and potential for profitability. Yes sir, I'm bringing honesty to the microcap space, watch out!

#35     Jun 11, 2007
  6. Somebody asked me this on another board--thanx for the compliment.

Yes, I am the one and only Timothy Sykes--I'm going to try to only respond on this board because I know from my experience of having multiple email accounts that this reality show stardom seems to inspire a lot of people to ask me questions. I simply don't have the time to go searching through multiple boards as I would inevitably miss some and would probly receive angry messages as to why I don't respond.

So, I'll try to respond to every question I receive ON THIS BOARD ONLY

#36     Jun 12, 2007
  7. hey tim, good luck on the book, i will certainly check it out. will there be any tips in there on how to get my mom to do my dishes too? :)

#37     Jun 14, 2007
  8. I am curious how much your fund is up/down as of now?

Cheers.

#38     Jun 14, 2007
  9. It should be an interesting read. I think you might be becoming a victim of your own success with regard to the current trading (too many distractions now) and not as fun a market to go short in as the 2001-2002 market (I believe you said somewhere you were mainly a short trader).

You ever try applying your reading of stock charts models hold to futures?

#39     Jun 14, 2007
  10. Nope, that information will only be included in the DVD :)

Can't say exactly, regulations are a bitch, all I can say is that we've had some good times and bad.

If you only knew the truth....never traded a single option, future, commodity, currency-I like my microcap equities.

#40     Jun 14, 2007