Health issue short term depression

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by marketsurfer, May 28, 2013.

1. Hi,

I know this is a weird place to ask, but what the heck, the medical profession has been unable to diagnose me.

From once a week to once every 2 weeks-- I wake up feeling lethagic with a slight headache-- by 9 AM, I feel depressed and the headache is much worse-- enough to put me back into bed. For several hours, I feel depressed and not motivated at all. Finally, I fall asleep for an hour to 3 hours and wake up completely better then to feel great for the next 7 to 14 days, only to have this "depression" thing hit me again. It never lasts more than a day but sometimes it remains even after I sleep but by the next day its completely gone. Is there such a thing as short term depression? I can't find any correlations between my eating, sleeping and the onslaught of the symptoms--- If the symptoms lasted longer than one day, this would be a brutal situation--thankfully they have never.

thanks, surf

2. Arnie

Arnie

I doubt this will apply to your situation but it may shed light on the fact that it could be something completely unrelated to "depression".

About 15 years ago (mid 40's) I came down with something I could only compare to the flu. Body ache, felt like shit, chills etc...A few days later I felt fine. Then whamo, a few days after that the symptoms were back. After 2-3 times of this, I went to the Dr. Long story short I had prostatitis. I couldn't believe it, but digital exam showed swollen prostate. He prescribed some really powerful antibiotics and it went away after a few days. If you ever feel like you're sitting on golf ball and you feel like crap, its probably prostatitis.

btw, for a long time after this I took Saw Palmetto but not any longer. Prostate is fine and urinary tract/sex health is just like when I was 18 :D

Hope you get better.

3. Hmm, sounds like what I have been going through and attributed to 2 obvious concussions. Add in if you will belligerence on occasion, and clarity after the act. I'll ask the doc to look into what you mention. Cripes, here's my example. It is taking me 10 minutes to type in this response. How do I know? I am timing myself as a result of my issues. I reread my posts too many times also.
    Boy, whatever the answer, I am looking for it at this point.

4. Interesting-- despite years of skateboarding and multiple injuries in my pre-fat days--- I only had one head injury and that was a slow motion mountain bike over the handle bars on a steep decent, head/face first into a rock about 20 years ago-- cracked the helmet and required about 50 stitches in my eyebrow----

Arnie--- I think my situation is more mental than physical but I can't pinpoint cause..

5. marketsurfer:From once a week to once every 2 weeks-- I wake up feeling lethagic with a slight headache-- by 9 AM, I feel depressed and the headache is much worse-- enough to put me back into bed. For several hours, I feel depressed and not motivated at all.

loose the booze

6. I don't drink any alchohol---- if so, no doubt you would be right.

surf

7. Maybe you just are so really tired because you are busy? I am very busy and I need to stop and sleep for one day too. To get up early every day all the time and be very busy is too much. So is ok to stop and rest.
    You say before you have the baby coming soon. Maybe you are feel some stress from that too?

8. Get some counseling, might be something in the back of your mind bothering you. If not at least you have a chance to get everything off your chest to someone who wont judge you.

9. Your symptoms aren't really conclusive. You would need some bloodwork done. I would imagine your TSH is high. I would also think you would benefit from some 5-HTP to see if it's a an issue related to neurotransmitters; specifically serotonin.

Go to a Vitamin Shoppe and buy some 5-HTP capsules. Take 200mg, 3x daily. Also get some digestive enzymes (Bromelain and Papain combination). The HTP can give you a bit of indigestion w/o the enzymes. Take all with food.

I'd bet that in a week you'll feel "normalized" and have more energy and will sleep better. The aforementioned is cheaper and safer than taking an SSRI.

10. noddyboy

noddyboy

Sounds like bipolar disorder....you could get medical advice. The market does it to the best of us, and some of it comes with age or a life event or stress. 5htp does beat SSRI, as per the book Mood Cure, but I will caution taking it excess as other issues like migraines develop.

#10     May 28, 2013