Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mike5885, Aug 16, 2006.

1. mike5885

mike5885

I currently work for a prop firm, so I am technically self employed.

I am using a HSA in combination with a high deductible policy for coverage. I would like to switch to a HMO or PPO format, but the costs are outrageous.

Questions:

How have others addressed this issue? (I am single, so no spouse coverage)

Are there trader associations that offer coverage?

How about small business associations?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. gnome

gnome

You might try the NFIB... National Association of Independent Businesses. Years ago they had a health plan.

Check with a hospital chain group. I think Humana has one. You'd be limited to Humana facilities, much like Kaiser, but it's dangerous to not have insurance.

I recently had an appendectomy. The one day OR charge was $19,000 + surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc.

I later developed an infection and had to go back for a 2nd surgery + a one week stay. Total bill >$90,000. That would have been rough without insurance.

And look for something with a "max out of pocket cap" for the plan year. My barber had a heart by-pass and his insurance covered 80-20. His 20% portion of the bill was $28,000.

3. bdon

bdon

i live in nyc and have a no deductible hmo through atlantis health for under $300/mo. They will write a group policy for a single trader.

4. Thanks for that info bdon. I have been looking for something like this for a while.

5. jwecme

jwecme

wow I am glad I live in the UK. At least here if you are sick you get treated. Many good things about the US but health care aint one of them. You get these huge bills when you are least able to pay and cannot work , sounds like a fair system to me!

6. reg

reg

You can inquire with your local Chamber of Commerce office. They do provide health insurance, but you must first become a member.

7. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

You might also want to check various policies & rates at: www.ehealthinsurance.com

I found decent coverage in the past through my college alumni association. But year to year rate increases can be mind boggling even if you have no claims and are in perfect health.

8. Mike,

I had the same problem. I was living in NJ and was paying $775 a month for health ins. with Aetna. I moved to Philadelphia and was paying $156 for the same damn policy. I just moved to Las Vegas and getting quotes for $80-$100 a month.

Brian

9. Arnie

Arnie

Why do you want to switch from an HSA?