Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by trdr_2000, Dec 21, 2004.

1. I checked out every health insurer I could find about 2 years ago. Blue Cross of MO was the best I found, great PPO and rates about half what I was charged when I had a "job".

#11     Dec 22, 2004
  2. as a full time self employed trader ....

so my question would be if I am
    allowed to contribute to an HSA ?

:confused:

#12     Dec 22, 2004
  3. Just went thru all of this with my company plan, so I'll add $0.02.

HSAs are a nice option for some people. The basic concept is that they are tied to a high deductible ($1000 or more) insurance plan. You can then "save" up to your deductible amount in an IRA type of account. As far as paying for ordinary doctor visits, if you go to a doctor in your plan you should get the plan rate if you have the doctor submit the bill thru your insurer. They apply your deductible and you pay the plan rate. Obviously, you may want to check this over closely. There is one drawback, you cannot have prescription drug coverage (ie; $15, $30, $50 drug card). Drugs are paid out of your HSA and then picked up by the insurance after you reach your limits. Bottom line, if you are young, don't need drugs, and never see the doctor it is probably a good deal. If you use the system and have a regular prescription, then the old way may be better. You have to do the numbers. Frankly, when I looked at the premium rates for my company I didn't feel that they where discounted enough.

If you want more info, HSAbank.com has some. Good luck.

#13     Dec 22, 2004
  4. a bank is selling these ?

ok ... I better check with my HMO first
    then with this bank to see if any of this
    makes sense for me and if it is allowed
    in my state ( N.Y. ) for a self employed
    person without an IRA

www.hsabankusa.com

-HSA Bank ™, also known as MSA Bank™, is a national leader in Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Medical Savings Accounts (MSA)-

#14     Dec 23, 2004
  5. Seth,

the bank just works the HSA. The insurance comes from an regular insurance company. They are two separate things. YOu can have the high deductible plan, without the HSA if you want. In fact, I have a high deductibe plan but no HSA because the coverage is better and the premium discount between the HSA eligible plan and non-eligible plan is not that much. You should be ok as a self emloyed person. However, your HMO will probably not qualify. You will need to chose a high deductible plan which complies with the HSA regs. Good luck.

#15     Dec 23, 2004
  6. Does any prop firm besides ECHO offer group insurance to it's traders?

#16     Dec 23, 2004
  7. reg

reg

Carlin and Assent. Assent offers health insurance through Cigna.

#17     Dec 23, 2004
  8. Ebo

Ebo

NEW YORK State offers "small companies"/self employed individuals very reasonable insurance and offers a choice of 8 HMO's. It's like $180 with Rx coverage for Aetna/US Healthcare.

#18     Dec 23, 2004
  9. ciamark

ciamark

insurance for self employed is very expensive. I found a free Prescription Discount Card that gives me pretty big discounts on some of my meds. For anyone who wants to know about it. OptionPrescriptionCard is the name on the web :)

#19     Jan 26, 2006
  10. I found insurance for the self employed much cheaper than my old group plan. Blue Cross, with tons of providers and very favorable terms for about $160/month.

#20     Jan 26, 2006