Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by runningman, Aug 9, 2008.

1. An HSA rolls over each year (you might be thinking of a FSA). I have a $6k deductible, so as long as I put in enough each January to keep the HSA acct above $6k, then I don't worry about unexpected medical bills for the rest of the year.

Regarding disability, good luck getting a disability policy as an independent trader. Unless you work prop or have an LLC, I don't know of anyone that will give you a policy, especially if you trade from home and they have no way to disprove you can't trade anymore from that "bad back" you got over the weekend.

I ended up getting a Critical Illness policy from Assurity instead. Like life insurance you can get covered regardless of your job. It pays a lump sum if you get anything that would really keep you from trading -- like blindness, cancer, heart attack, stroke, paralyzed, loss of limbs, etc., but doesn't kill you (life ins covers that). You should look into it if you have a family to support.

#31     Aug 13, 2008
  2. mrmoose

mrmoose

if you live in New York and for whatever reason do not make very mich money for three months in a row (like 2500 a month if you a familly of three) you can qualify for healthy NY and pay like 500 a month for great coverage. Once you qualify you are good for a year regardless of how much you make.

#32     Aug 13, 2008
  3. These are great tips, it's great feedback for all. I live in CO. I also recall, and I can't find the older threads at the moment, but you can join a craft guild, any association that will let you join, and offers insurance, and get in on their volume discount.

#33     Aug 13, 2008
  4. Thanks QQQ. You know I have just been putting off getting LT care, because I am so very young. At what age do you think it would make sense.

#34     Aug 13, 2008
  5. #35     Aug 13, 2008
  6. before you need it:D

i think the earlier you start, the cheaper the premiums... i cant get it, i have a pre-existing condition & i think the premiums would be massive:mad:

#36     Aug 13, 2008
  7. Brandonf,

I've followed your posts very closely. The point you make above is very important and yet escapes most people. Pardon me for prying, but can you elaborate? Of the 400K, how much came out of your pocket? Your lifetime cap is now reduced to what? Can you switch providers? What type of coverage did you have prior to your illness?

To your health and a speedy recovery,

John

#37     Aug 13, 2008