Health Insurance for Traders

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by heynow, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Also, with the NASE, you pick any doc you want, anywhere in the country. It is not State specific. I move around a lot, so this is a biggy.

Jay

#11     Apr 18, 2006
  2. jayford i'd be very very careful of nase. i sold insurance years ago and they had a very bad reputation when it came to paying claims. they're an association and can drop coverage in any state and re enter under another association. i'd stiick with main line unh,blue cross, aetna ,cigna or coventry. if you devolope a seriosu illness and they pull out you're in trouble are at the least they'll jackl your premium 100% plus a year till you drop it

#12     Apr 18, 2006
  3. Arnie

Arnie

When I moved to Vegas my premiums went from $350 to over $800/month. I switched to an HSA and my premiums are now $175 plus what I put into the savings account. With an HSA I am basically self insured for the first $5,000 per year. If I get really sick, the health insurance side covers me up to $3,000,000. All of the money I put into the savings side is mine to keep IF I don't need to spend it on health care. When I turn 65, if there is a million dollars in the that account it is all mine, but I will have to pay tax on it as I withdraw it. Works just like a retirement plan.

#13     Apr 18, 2006
  4. Biog

Biog

Careful with NASE plans, research it well before deciding to go that direction. Alot of bad press lately:

http://businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_37/b3899076_mz021.htm

#14     Apr 18, 2006
  5. Good to know. Problem is, I move constantly. This is the only plan I've found that is national (blue Cross, etc are all by individual state).

No prob here yet, but thanks for the heads up.

Jay

#15     Apr 18, 2006
  6. Just read that BW article. Sounds scary.

The sales rep I used, however, did point all this stuff out to me such as 1,000 per day max for testing such as MRI's etc. I have no chemo. She told me that. I chose not to have it actually to keep prices low. I mainly have my insurance for sports injuries which can get as expensive as hell. I even added an accident rider that has no deductible. Now its time to go toss those sky high forward loops windsurfing!

Cheers,

Jay

#16     Apr 18, 2006
  7. trent88

trent88

Be carefull of HSA.
    I hate my insurance company. I get into 1 single fender bender, next thing you know my premium increases substantially. I don’t want to mention the insurance company’s name but its one of the biggest one out there. Anyways, I called local insurance companies and wasn’t too successful either. Not only did I spend hours calling around, I waited days for some to get back to me. People have this notion to always go local. But you know what, I checked on the net found it to be easier. So for those who are in a similar situation as me, go online when shopping for insurance... The place I went to is http://www.insurancepaylite.com They were able to give a quote that was acceptable to me in the speediest time.

#17     Apr 26, 2006
  8. I broker health insurance (BOO!). Yes, I recognize I may be considered the scum of the earth now. My philosophy is to give as little money to the insurance company as possible. Opinions regarding some plans:

Mega Life, Midwest National, NASE - Not major med. Limited benefits packages. Yes, they will cover first dollar costs, but your coverage could run out soon. Deductibles are typically per incident rather than yearly. If you are looking at some of these packages, you should set them side by side with a major med plan.

Shopping for insurance on the internet vs using a local agent. You do all the research instead of what your core competency is, you hope to structure the proper plan hand hope to get the lowest possible price.

Myth: Insurance purchased off the internet is cheaper than if you see a local broker.

Fact: Insurance rates are set by the insurance companies and regulated by the state (Colorado at least). The underwriter will set the final price by making an offer once underwriting is done.

Nobody can offer you health insurance any cheaper than I can. Conversly, I cannot offer health insurance any cheaper than any other broker or internet site.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Colvin
    http://www.SpringsHealthPlans.com

#18     May 4, 2006
  9. james18

james18

there has the newest scam going utilizing a personal medical fund or pmf account. Do not let your company choose such kinds of health or a personal medical fund plan. basically, you might as well be self-insured. this type of plan takes you and your companies money and pays bills from the account. everything is ok until you have go beyond the pmf account and try to access the benefits of the insurance plan. you will end up paying so many of your bills as being part of your deductible, out-of-network, etc. and worst of all, you will never get to your 100% insured benefits. that's crap that some companies do that. pretty sinister way to get money out of ordinary people.
    anyway, you can check this: http://www.insurancepaylite.com for a reliable insurance for your health, car, business and home. you can get a free on line quote and you can compare it to other companies.

#19     May 8, 2006
  10. spam-a-rama

#20     May 8, 2006