Health Bill Would Add 3.8% Tax on Investment Income

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by stinkyfelix, Mar 19, 2010.

1. TheMan

TheMan

good for europe

the us will be there shortly, and i will no longer be here is all i am saying

#31     Mar 21, 2010
  2. TheMan

TheMan

this is just the start------------

i see all this shit getting so much worse, we will all be paying 70%

well those that stay will be

#32     Mar 21, 2010
  3. If there's a silver lining, it's that this bill won't kick in until 2014. That means we've got 2 Congressional election cycles and 1 presidential election to get the current cretins out of there and put in some sensible representatives to get this overturned and put us back on the right track. As I see it, this will be the last opportunities we have to fight before we're lost for good.

#33     Mar 21, 2010
  4. muller

muller

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62I37920100321

(Reuters) - As the Congress once again rallies to pass healthcare reform legislation, momentum is growing in many states to pass laws to block the changes -- a move that could lead to a legal battle over states' sovereignty.

Bills and resolutions have been introduced in at least 36 state legislatures seeking to limit or oppose various aspects of the reform plan through laws or state constitutional amendments, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

TENTH AMENDMENT ARGUMENT

Many states cite the 10th Amendment, which says "powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states," as proof that the U.S. government cannot set their healthcare laws.

Gibbs did not accept that complaint. "What we're about to pass and sign into law will meet Constitutional muster," he said.

Robert Natelson, a constitutional law professor at the University of Montana School of Law, said it would be easier for states to argue for standing to file a lawsuit that claims the federal government has overstepped its constitutional powers.

#34     Mar 21, 2010
  5. piezoe

piezoe

I have no problem paying 4 cents on the dollar if it will help assure access to, and affordability of health care for another 30 million. I'd prefer to spend my money that way rather than on military hardware or subsidizing Israel's purchase of our military hardware. Speaking of which wouldn't it make sense to reduce by 4% the 4K$ spent yearly per capita on "defense" and divert the savings to seeing that everyone had decent health care? Then we would not need that additional tax on high incomes.

I don't like our tax structure one bit -- it is a nightmare! But the least we can do is join the civilized world with regard to access to health care.

If you are making over 200K and can't afford 4 cents on the dollar on your unearned income to help those less fortunate, you are spending too much.

There is really no point in reducing taxes unless there is a compensating reduction in spending. Otherwise what you naively think you are saving on taxes will be wiped out by inflation.

#35     Mar 21, 2010
  6. Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Unfortunately, it won't play out that way. The military industrial complex will see to it that defense spending and wars don't lose a penny. So instead, we the taxpayers will get bled dry, both via taxes and inflation.

#36     Mar 21, 2010
  7. Since its the other side who is more bent on using taxpayer money for millitary excesses, why would you wait for 2014 to only see the millitary industrial complex get more taxpayer dollars?

[​IMG]

#37     Mar 21, 2010
  8. TheMan

TheMan

i have no issue with 4 cents on the dollar either

thats not the point

the point is

this is just the springboard for whats to come---

what exactly do you think is buried in that 2800 page bill?

how big does the govt need to be?

how big is too big?

what are they going to take over next?

#38     Mar 21, 2010
  9. we need health care reform. currently system is failing

#39     Mar 21, 2010
  10. The surtax is on taxable unearned income (except for retirement plans) if your overall income (including earned income) is larger than 200K or 250K.

#40     Mar 21, 2010