Health Benefits

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Weasel, Apr 12, 2004.

1. That is a little high, you should look into outside firms. You really don't have to go thru a firm's helath insurance policy, shop around. For a family you can find something in the 1000 or little less range which isn't bad. But of course all depends on what type of coverage you need... but keep us posted on what you do .

#11     Apr 12, 2004
  2. Arnie

Arnie

After seeing my payments (wife and me, no chillerin's) go from $250 to over $400, I started to look around and found the HSA (Health Savings Accnt) to be a no brainer. Basically it's a high deductible health plan (HDHP) with a savings accnt. We are both healthy so why pay over $4800/year for about $500 in benefits? With an HSA (or MSA) you can put money into a savings account every month, if you go to the doctor-you pay. But its all deductible and the money you put in comes right off your income...just like a 401K. Plus the money accrues, if you don't spend it, its yours when you turn 65. You are really acting as your own insurer for the little stuff, but you have a HDHP for the big events (cancer, heart attack etc..) Oh yeah, even if you don't have income you can contribute to an HSA. I got mine thru Golden Rule.

#12     Apr 12, 2004
  3. i don't no if you have money or not. if you do have a home and a good savings you got to get healthcare. if your really tapped out but have healthy kids and a wife you can roll the dice. i don't no if thats the smartest move but not much you can lose if your close to broke. also if anything major happens they have to take care of you legally. also maybe go work at another firm which has a cheaper healthcare package. its a tough spot to be in and i am happy i only have to cover myself. i really don't no why if your kids are in school you don't make your wife get a dumb 40hr job and get covered that way.

#13     Apr 12, 2004
  4. Weasel

Weasel

Pride I guess. She has not worked in 10 yrs. I've been a stockbroker for 18 yrs. Money has been great over the years. There have been some good posts here. I think the idea of a plan with high deductible and out of pocket is not bad. It's kind of like disaster insurance. We're not old and sick, so it makes sense.

#14     Apr 12, 2004
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

add long term disability & life insurance and you are all set.

#15     Apr 12, 2004
  6. ethos

ethos

Not exactly. I ran Excel calculations comparing different low and high deductible insurance policies. Here is what I found:

1) If you get huge medical bill your total expences for the year are still slightly lower with high deductible plan.
    2) If you only go to a doctor occasionaly your expences are significantly lower.
    3) You get more coverage with high deductible plan as YOU decide what is covered and what is not.
    4) Considering tax advantages HSA is even more attractive.

Just take a look at the attached.

#16     Apr 13, 2004
  7. ethos

ethos

Here is the attachment:

#17     Apr 13, 2004
  8. jimmyz

jimmyz

How many companies offer HSA? I would like to find some different companies for comparison.

Any of them have the prescription plan? And what about having a baby on the plan? Anyone have this. I would be interested to hear of anyones experiences both good and bad.

Thanks

#18     Apr 13, 2004
  9. jrs3

jrs3

Work part time for UPS, the offer the best benefits for part time workers. The work is hard (great exercise) 3-4 hour per day. They offer 4 shifts. I dabble in the markets during the day and work their in the evening 5:30-9:30. benefits are outstanding $ 10.00 co pay.

#19     Apr 13, 2004
  10. ethos

ethos

HSA is actually a bank account like IRA. You can deposit as much as your deductible. You have to be on a qualified high deductible plan to be able to open such account.

http://www.msabank.com/bl_faq.asp

I believe many insurance companies offer HSA compatible plans. If you are in California take a look at Blue Shield or Nationwide.

#20     Apr 13, 2004