HDTV as Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Jan 21, 2012.

1. RE: HDMI audio

Per this wiki page:

Dolby TrueHD bitstream capable
    DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream capable

with HDMI 1.3 and above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

If the video card supports HDMI as an output, then it seems logical that the driver should be capable to send the audio over HDMI or else like Scat said whats the point. I don't think I have that configuration so I don't know.

#11     Jan 21, 2012
  2. In my searching around, I've seen, "Radeon cards with HDMI and 'HD' in their model number", do this. I read in another place, "Radeon cards in HD5000 and higher series support the audio"..

With all the streaming services and cheap TVs these days, seems the makers would be bending over backwards to make the PC-TV connection quick and easy.

#12     Jan 21, 2012
  3. #13     Jan 21, 2012
  4. HDTV as Monitor?

-------------

Fwiw,

I was asking around a few months ago, and although I never followed through on doing this, the guys who do this are gamers. At least that is where I ended up to find the best information.

When I decide to do this, I know the gamer I'm going to ask and he is going to tell me exactly how to do this and what tv to buy (cords etc).

#14     Jan 21, 2012
  5. there was another thread on here maybe six months ago or so on same subject and a guy showed claimed and showed pics of a 52in sony hdtv that he said worked awesome for this. he said sony was the only brand it really worked good for.

#15     Jan 24, 2012
  6. my previous post was more about the vid. he said the sony had good enough resolution that he could use a 52 in sony for trading

#16     Jan 24, 2012
  7. I ordered a video card with HDMI out.... have a monitor with speakers and a couple of LCD TVs I can try it on. Will try to remember to post the results.

#17     Jan 24, 2012
  8. I push large format displays with DVI connectors but I've never piped the audio from the pc to the TV. I think the question is does the audio pass through the HDMI on a tower and that's what Scat is about to find out for us...

#18     Jan 25, 2012
  9. I was mistaken. I thought I didn't have such configuration but I actually do.

Even the el-cheapo EVGA 8400 GS card has a HDMI out. Here is an excerpt from the 8400 GS manual, page 8:

= = = = =
    Configuring HDMI for Audio Output (Select Models only):
    Connecting your HDTV via HDMI allows you to output both digital audio and video from your graphics card through a single cable. Connecting through intermediary devices such as hubs or receivers is not recommended.

If you are connecting to your display over HDMI and have attached the SPDIF cable for audio output (refer to the illustrations below for instructions on connecting the SPDIF cable), you need to set the SPDIF output to be your default audio device. The SPDIF cable may be connected to a SPDIF header on a motherboard or sound card.
    Certain graphics cards with onboard HDMI ports may not require a SPDIF cable for audio output.

Regardless of whether you use a SPDIF cable or not to pass audio through the graphics card, you will need to configure the Windows sound output. Select Start, Control Panel, Sound. On the Playback tab, select the SPDIF/HDMI output device and select Set Default.

Windows XP may require additional driver support. Please consult your motherboard or sound card documentation
    for additional information.

= = = = =

In the case of EVGA card, it looks like one needs to connect the SPDIF cable from the graphic card to the motherboard.

It should work in theory. :) I don't have time to mess with it so I would tune in to hear if it works for Scat. :)

[​IMG]

#19     Jan 25, 2012
  10. Installed the card on HDMI port and computer monitor (haven't tried a TV yet). During the driver installation, noticed "installing HD audio driver" message.

Sound and video are just fine (cheap 8400GS card)... didn't need additional audio connection or to select "HDMI out" anywhere... just PNP.

#20     Jan 27, 2012