Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by NasdaqTrader, Dec 14, 2003.

1. What is the name of the macadamia nut factory near Kailua-Kona? They sell those huge bags of shelled macadamias, and now I want some. :)

#11     Dec 15, 2003
  2. looking 4 Paradise? I suggest something outside the USA. Just a thought.

#12     Dec 15, 2003
  3. Why?

I'm a Yank so I pay taxes where ever I go. Cap gains don't get the $80k exemption, only earned income does. This isn't enough reason for me to go elsewhere anyway. On Maui, I get rock solid cable access, and the best year round windsurfing on the Planet!

I am a very international guy (lived in Finland, England, Ecuador, and Singapore), and have travelled all over the place. Maui is tops in my book. The hours also allow me to trade US markets and still play all day in the water. Perfect! That Kona coffee solves any early morning worries.

Jay

#13     Dec 15, 2003
  4. chessman

chessman Guest

Jayford,

Just curious if you were trading while living in Singapore? What are the US trading hours there?

To others who are considering a move to HI but have never been there, I think there is a big difference between visiting a place as a tourist and living there. We thought San Francisco was the best place in the world to live, however after living there as a test for three months didn't like it. Still a nice place to visit.

I was once interviewed for a job with Lockheed in HI in 2001, still waiting to hear back from them...there are some big defense contractors there.

#14     Dec 15, 2003
  5. sunnie

sunnie

My suggestion would be to "live" in your preferred location on a trial basis first, 6 months or whatever, before committing to the place. Nothing worse than being "stuck" in a place with no return ticket in your back pocket, just in case it doesn't work out.

Have a source of income from "off island"....wouldn't depend on the employment/salaries here....

Just my opinion, having lived in West Hawaii for 4 years...

#15     Dec 15, 2003
  6. pspr

pspr

What are the hours for trading the e-mini's from the islands? In other words, 9:30 AM EST to 4:00PM EST is what time in Hawaii?

#16     Dec 15, 2003
  7. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

4:30am to 11:00am currently-- daylight savings doesn't apply here....so the rest of the year is 3:30am-10am. ..........I really dig the schedule, it leaves the whole day open & makes every weekend almost like a 3 day weekend. Just stay on your current schedule (or close to it) and the time difference isn't a big deal.

#17     Dec 15, 2003
  8. isleboy71

isleboy71

For those moving to the big island from the big city, most people feel a little island fever. Oahu has over a million people, and this I would recommend as the place to be. If i had my choice, I would buy a townhouse at koolina, as the harbor is very close, and some of the most pristine beaches in all of hawaii. Still nothing compares to hapuna beach on the big island.

#18     Dec 15, 2003
  9. syd697

syd697

The move can definitely be done. I went from NYC to Kaua'i and lived there for 4 years, 1998 - 2002. Talk about a lifestyle change! It was beautiful, met some greak folk, and you really learn the meaning of ohana out there. If you are going to trade, be prepared to be tired for awhile as your hours will be approx 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m., but then you're free to surf. My youngest daughter was born in Kaua'i and she'll always have that connection. I now reside in Florida but miss those trade winds.

Good luck. Shaka!

#19     Dec 15, 2003
  10. Just wondering what you are paying for internet in HI. What's the choices there? DSL, Cable, and dial up available?

#20     Dec 15, 2003