Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Monsoon, Apr 11, 2003.

1. sunnie

sunnie

This is a good point... it comes down to what you want to do. Since there are fewer distractions here, I find one can spend more time on what one wants to do, - to become the person they truly are....be it a trader, surfer, athlete, artist, whatever....

IMHO, the way to live here is to have some other "backup" income (could be from trading or retirement income, as examples) from outside of the islands, and not have to "scrap" out a living trying to work here.......that would my style anyway but what works for me may not work for you and if you have a better way, more power to you! If you a bound and determined to make it, you will!!

Perhaps that applies anywhere...not to be trading from a position of desperation or with scared money...

#21     Apr 13, 2003
  2. Spark

Spark

It is laughable stuff when you said '......recognized HPU but not UH....' I know couple of people who graduated from UH and were employed by Singapore National University to teach there.

#22     Apr 13, 2003
  3. You folks are making me home sick, raised in Kailua/Kaneohe. Good luck in HI.

#23     Apr 14, 2003
  4. TG

TG

Try Daytrading University, somewhere in Hawaii.

#24     Apr 14, 2003
  5. .
    Like a couple others here I rode a sportbike while attending UH. Started with a Honda 500 Interceptor and then "graduated" to a 750 Ninja.

This is a GREAT place to ride a bike once you get away from the traffic (which can be tough!). Every weekend I'd ride up to the North Shore with a couple of buddies and then finish the day up by hitting the twisties up in Tantalus. Awesome!!

First date with the woman who is now my wife: picked her up on the Ninja, took the scenic coastal route to the North Shore and an airfield up there where we went gliding. Terrific first date - highly recommended!

I didn't have a car for my last two years when I was a student, and I was working a couple of jobs to boot. I got a little wet sometimes, but so what? You're not going to melt, and you dry off pretty fast. Must admit groceries were a pain though!

My advice is: if you can handle being confined to a relatively small but lovely space without getting rock fever, you'll like it here. If you like being able to just get in your car (or hopping on your bike) and driving off for hours and hours, wrong place! More expensive too. You'll have major shock the first time you go grocery shopping, guaranteed.

Finally, if you don't like Asian or Asian-mixed women, definitely stay away. A former roommate moved here from Virginia. For some reason he thought blonde bombshells would be growing on the trees - wrong.

#25     Apr 15, 2003
  6. Monsoon

Monsoon

the current plan is to only finish up my degree at UH... say anywhere from 6-12 months depending on the intensity... Then perhaps move back stateside.... One concern of mine is finding a job... I dont want to get over there and be penniless with no money for rent after a month or two... I do however think that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me that I would regret not taking...

Any starting points that anyone knows of besides the University?

#26     Apr 15, 2003
  7. Monsoon
    Aloha did you ever make it to paradise. I usually live on the North Shore, but I spend a lot of time on Maui. I keep a portfolio of Seasonal Calendars Spreads. I learned a lot of the system in the
    Hawaii public library. It is pretty complete on the basics. You may want to specialize on the Internet.

School,
    Hilo is better. You will have to do the final years in Manoa. There is no degree that will make you a successful trader. The very concept of a degree may work against you. You will probably have to unlearn it. School is based on discipline, trading on flexibility.[​IMG]

-ooO-(GoldTrader)-Ooo-
    Spread Trading!.

#27     May 5, 2003
  8. Monsoon

Monsoon

i'd be going towards the end of the summer/fall

#28     May 14, 2003
  9. funky

funky

i wish....i was thinking about it when i was there a month ago...on the west side where its nice and sunny :) buy a nice little house on the coast and figure out a way to trade, that would be the life :) wake up at 4am, trade in the morning and done by 11am, take a nap out on the beach.....ahhhhh maybe someday.

#29     May 15, 2003
  10. sunnie

sunnie

Close....but now, the market opens 3:30AM, done by 10AM - you are definitely correct about the nap later in the day...:)

#30     May 15, 2003