Having trouble focusing at my day job

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Smart Money, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Let me reiterate. I'm not suggesting you get rid of your current relationships. Just don't destroy them by "bribing" them.

Have you ever given your own child money? What do they learn? All they learn is to expect to be given money. Not only that they don't understand the power of money. If all you do is give your friends fishes, how will they learn to fish for themselves?

If you really care about the financial well-being of your current friends. If you believe you have found the holy grail. Then teach your trading methodology. Help them find their own financial success.

Don't give them a bag of money. Give them wealth. My definition of wealth is: How long you can survive without being employed. Essentially how long can you live without working at a steady job? If they can trade and eventually invest into cash flow producing assets that can pay off their monthly expenses. Than they can focus more on whats important to them in life instead of "work". They can spend more time with you, relate with you. Spend more time with their own families and in general be less stressed.

Be Smart, help your friends become wealthy not rich. Teaching your friends your trading method will help themselves. Long after you leave this earth. They will remember you for helping them become wealthy. If you really care about your friends teach them your holy grail after you become rich. That's the best way you can protect them. If you teach them to protect themselves.

#31     Nov 9, 2009
  2. More often or not. Most people are not wealthy because of poor financial planning. Lack of proper money management. People spend their money in haphazard ways. In many ways most people lack discipline with cash.

A lot of people if they learned how to save more than 25% of what they earned. Invested in cash producing assets. Develop their financial intelligence. Pay off their house, purposely purchase a much cheaper house so they can afford it(and be able to save more money), and decide to keep the equity inside of the house instead of using equity loans for a vacation they don't need.More people would have more money. If they just follow these steps and have more discipline.

Becoming a wealthy investor. Has more to do with discipline. Well thought out financial planning, effective management, and the commitment to learn and constantly invest into themselves. Their long term success depends upon how they work their brain.

Are they willing to learn the power of compound interest, rule of 72? Willing to develop a plan. Learn about LLC's and their various tax advantages. Learn about IRA's and Roth IRA. Are they interested in learning about Tax Liens, investing into Notes? Trying out rental property. Or if they like paper assets how about investing into stocks, such as REITS or strong growth stocks? Or how about trading trends. How about learning how to write call options. What about trading Forex by investing into the predominant trend? How about earning money on the subsequent increase in crude oil futures?How about building an online business that will generate revenue? How about selling ideas for royalties?

Their are so many ways to make money and invest money. But the principle of managing and keeping what you earn has to be in tact before you can ever invest what is left. Most people never have anything left at the end of the month. That is why most people are financially wretched. Making the right choices now, can solve that problem. They can start by cutting costs and using the remaining money to invest intelligently.

#32     Nov 9, 2009
  3. What I'm trying to point out is that. Even if you flush your friends with cash. You will never solve their money problems. Until they learn how to solve it themselves.

#33     Nov 9, 2009
  4. zdreg

zdreg

"regurgitate" " useless garbage" "balls'
    how about simply summarize?

nothing wrong with fantasy unless carried to an extreme. people could not get through the day without it.

#34     Nov 9, 2009
  5. This is the wisest thing from your keyboard so far. Friendships based on money have little value. Money is what divides friendships and breaks up families.

As for rifts, killer car collection and such as that, I would say the FIRST things people should do with excess money is:

1) eliminate your debts
    2) ensure you are set for life, and then, for retirement
    3) buy a decent property to get rid of monthly rental payments
    4) help others in your family that you are close to, and are struggling. The feeling of trust and happiness from a struggling sister or dad that you got out of a bad situation or poverty trumps the empty feelings from any collectible car. For example, 2 years at a community college (not so much money) for your little brother who never went beyond high school, is inexpensive and is a start towards "teach a man how to fish and he will feed himself the rest of his life." Helping a dropout friend achieve their GED is another example.

After all, there are no U-Hauls behind the hearse:

[​IMG]

#35     Nov 9, 2009
  6. This new method you've got....Is it buying a new high? :)

#36     Nov 9, 2009
  7. No. Its buying stocks with really low P/E ratios and increasing cash flows. Shh! Don't tell anyone! :)

#37     Nov 9, 2009
  8. So it has nothing to do with technical analysis. Well, here's my rule about investing based upon fundamentals.

If your going to invest that way, expect a certain price target at some point based upon those fundamentals. Than, wait for the markets to eventually hit the appropriate price target for the P/E ratios. Not difficult, just requires discipline when the markets correct themselves every now and then.

#38     Nov 9, 2009
  9. Alexander,

He was kidding. So was I. Thanks none-the-less.

SM

#39     Nov 10, 2009
  10. pfft... It wasn't a bad joke. That kind of strategy works for buy and hold type of people. It certainly works for people like Buffet.
    Low P/E multiples with increasing cashflow
    :cool:
    But it certainly isn't a holy grail that will double your money by 10 times in a single year.

#40     Nov 10, 2009