Have you no shame Mr. President?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Aug 27, 2012.

1. If Romney were Pres we would still be in Iraq

http://news.yahoo.com/iraq-pullout-signature-failure-obama-romney-203147930.html

Iraq pullout a "signature failure" for Obama: Romney

LITTLETON, New Hampshire (Reuters) - Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Thursday attacked U.S. President Barack Obama for a "signature failure" to keep some troops in Iraq to prevent the country falling back into sectarian conflict.

Just days after U.S. troops left Iraq, a wave of bombings killed at least 72 people in Baghdad on Thursday. The Shi'ite-led government is engulfed in a crisis that risks fracturing Iraq along sectarian and ethnic fault lines.

A consistent front-runner in polls of Republicans, Romney said he feared leaving Iraq without a stabilization force could put the hard-earned successes and victories there at risk.

"I hope that risk is not realized. I hope that we're able to see stability there but the president's failure to secure an agreement and maintain 10,000 to 30,000 troops in Iraq has to be one of his signature failures," he told Reuters.

#11     Aug 27, 2012

2. http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...docId=CNG.157e26ff13a2c531647ebb82af797d37.91

Obama challenger Romney says 'prepare for war' against Iran

WASHINGTON — Accusing President Barack Obama of naivete on Iran, Republican presidential challenger Mitt Romney promised Thursday that if elected president he would "prepare for war" with the Islamic republic.

In a commentary published in the Wall Street Journal, Romney said he would back up US diplomacy "with a very real and very credible military option," deploying carrier battle groups to the Gulf and boosting military aid to Israel.

"These actions will send an unequivocal signal to Iran that the United States, acting in concert with allies, will never permit Iran to obtain nuclear weapons," he wrote.

Romney, a frontrunner in the race for the Republican presidential nomination, keyed his column to a International Atomic Energy Agency report this week citing "credible evidence" that Iran had worked on a nuclear explosive device.

Iran denies it is developing nuclear weapons and insists its nuclear program is for generating electricity, but the report has prompted calls in the West for tougher UN sanctions and demands by Israel for world to act to prevent Tehran for getting nuclear weapons.

Romney said the United States "needs a very different policy."

#12     Aug 27, 2012
  3. We shouldn't be in foreign wars to satisfy domestic political concerns. Judging from the responses here in this forum, strong support for withdrawal is evident across the political spectrum.
    The Republicans will crucify Obama on any issue they can so who cares. If a photograph of Obama appeared showing him tieing his shoes, John Boehner would criticize him for wasting Presidential time on personal matters. And Rush Bimbo would identify his lace tieing method is uniquely Kenyan.

#13     Aug 27, 2012
  4. LOL! I still think Obama could score some major points by pushing for a faster withdrawal from the region. He already leads with women voters and I guarantee there are many moms and wives who want to see their men come home. The chickenhawks will always be crowing for more war, so he loses nothing by pissing them off. All but the craziest are sick of this war, and we all know it's a complete waste of time at this point.
    I'm a long ways from a pacifist. I say nuke the entire f'n lot of em', but if we're not going to do that, then we need to get the hell out.

#14     Aug 27, 2012
  5. Thanks for the laugh :p

#15     Aug 27, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

The more I learn of the Taliban the more I think someone has to do something to prevent that tumor from growing, I don't care where it is--if it's on Planet Earth it needs to be "excised".

Now, does it have to be the US doing the excising? I don't know.

#16     Aug 27, 2012
  7. i know but what do you do. wars once started are hard to end because its a save face thing.
    obama is wrong on this but we are faced with two choices. obama, who would probably like to just get out but is afraid of the political problems right before an election or romney who has promised to double down and then start another identical war with iran.
    if you are sick of these needless wars who of the two should you vote for?

#17     Aug 27, 2012
  8. I'd vote for Obama. But unfortunately the Afghan war is not even a sideshow in the election.

Romney is just courting the Jewish vote (or thinks he is courting the Jewish vote) or he is simply marching to Adelson's drumbeat with all his Iran bombast. If he gets in office, he'll probably dump Adelson (who is an atrocious man) like a hot potato. Or maybe he would double down on Iran to deflect attention from a radical domesticc agenda, I don't know.

Iran is a big problem though, and an even bigger challenge. I despise that totalitarian theocracy and thanks to Dubya and Co. they have thier tentacles in Iraq. A nuke in Iran's hands is
    at the very least a weapon for endless blackmail. If a war is in the offing with Iran, then all of NATO should go in full force as well as Japan, Canada, Austrailia, South Korea, India and whoever else wants to join.

#18     Aug 27, 2012
  9. you really think other countries are interested in helping the us with the iran problem after the mess of lies george bush used to get them involved in iraq?
    george bush destroyed us credibility at least for a generation.

#19     Aug 27, 2012
  10. I'm saying we ought not do it without them. Whether they would buy into it is a different question.

#20     Aug 27, 2012