Have you ever learnt anything reading Active Trader Magazine?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by steffi, Aug 19, 2009.

1. steffi

steffi

I'm just curious if anybody has an opinion on the value of articles in Active Trader magazine.

2. Yes, I did learn some things reading it for about 2 years. I quit because I feel it's always the same after some time.
    It is usefull to know what's possible but not really for making money.
    You may want to read about 60-75% of it. When you see things that you dont like just skip. Like I learned about pairs trading there because I read what looked interesting but when I saw stuff about Eliot waves I just skiped.

3. So far I've learned nothing, but there's always hope. Mostly I'm looking for ideas to use on my own systems (new entry filters, exits, etc). Half the magazine (2/3) is just filler though....economic reports, listings of futures contracts. Save some trees guys, just print a smaller magazine.

4. BSAM

BSAM

Yes. I "learnt" that it was a waste of my time and money.

5. The subscription is only useful if you know how to program code. My pairs system came out of one of these articles, but needed to be changed to be based on volatility than on the horrible static levels used in the example. Making those changes to the systems you see in that magazine are what you have to do, and that's the case with nearly every system I've worked with. That is, you'd want to modify it before using it not just for profitability but risk reward tradeoffs.

6. You may be better off merely to browse it at Border's or Barnes & Noble but be sure to buy something from the cafe' while you're there. :cool: