Have you ever introduced yourself as an speculaor?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by crgarcia, May 14, 2008.

1. If you want to get people off your back, then just tell them you're in multi-level marketing, and your only goal is to make them rich. It's been reported that you can clear a crowded bus with that comment.

#21     May 15, 2008
  2. I usually try to sell people insurance....that gets them running...and I don't even sell insurance.

Jeff

#22     May 15, 2008
  3. I introduce myself as Kenny Rogers and get my guitar out and I start singing

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XxTmOOvigJY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XxTmOOvigJY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

#23     May 15, 2008
  4. magicz

magicz

They always asked how is that vein look? I say there's gold in them hills.

#24     May 15, 2008
  5. eagle

eagle

Wrong! Won the battle in the market, but lost the war in life. Trading must have two goals, winning the game and better lifestyle. Respect yourself and please compensate yourself for the good work you have done, the same way as the good employer compensate his good employees. It isn't about showing off but compensation and acknowledging when somebody had done a good job.

#25     May 15, 2008
  6. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Or tell people that you are a “Trading Quant” they for sure will give you weird looks! :D

#26     May 15, 2008
  7. bellman

bellman

so bizarre.

never would have guessed the gambler's soul was going to leave the body and start dancing.

#27     May 15, 2008
  8. Aisone

Aisone

For kicks I tell them I make a living out of my bedroom (which is where my office has always been.) :D

Most of the time though I tell the casual aquaintance I work on computers all day. People usually don't give a hoot what others do (I know I usually don't) so I don't give more info unless the conversation turns more personal.

#28     May 15, 2008
  9. hausse

hausse

Reactions range from an occasional "wow" to indifference to badly hidden envy. I find that people don't view speculation that negatively. The most common comment is "That is too risky for me.". If I feel it is useful I explain to the person that it doesn't need to be so risky because one can size one's positions accordingly.

I say speculator if asked.

An alternative could be systems developer which would also be true but I feel no need for that.

Edit: Trend spotter would have a hip ring to it.

#29     May 15, 2008
  10. I usually say 'futures trader' and if that doesn't work, 'Private Equity Fund Manager' and if THAT doesn't work, 'side job of chicken house processor.'

By then, they're looking for the bar on the other side of the room :)

#30     May 15, 2008