Have you ever introduced yourself as an speculaor?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by crgarcia, May 14, 2008.

1. Yes, as in "my fellow speculators and I have been driving up the price of gasoline".:p

#11     May 14, 2008
  2. jhithers

jhithers

Yes, and someone quickly pointed out I should call myself a "speculator" instead.

#12     May 14, 2008
  3. I love it when stock brokers and investment advisors who don't know me start talking about the market in social situations. When they find out that I own a couple of seats on different exchanges, and trade for a living, they suddenly clam up about their expertise. I don't ever call myself a trader, as I'm a speculator, pure and simple.

#13     May 14, 2008
  4. Drew07

Drew07

I've been trading full time for a couple of weeks now and am already sick of telling people what I do. I'm thinking about getting some generic job as like a bartender part time so when I meet new people I don't have to explain what I do... I can just say "I'm a bartender" and the questions stop. Not to mention I kinda need the money :)

#14     May 14, 2008
  5. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Well for most people the stabbing...whoa..but if your a swordsman :) I used to practice Kum Do which is Korean swordsmanship..killer on the shoulders.

#15     May 14, 2008
  6. Short of showing someone your brokerage/bank balance it will come to down how you dress, how flash you car is etc

If you drive a cheap old car they will look down on you and think you are a work shy lazy gambler.

But if its an expensive flash car you will get a lot more respect and interest about your line of work...

#16     May 14, 2008
  7. I like this thread; you learn a great deal about people when you tell them what you do. First, I say that I am an options trader. If I see a blank look, then I tell them that I am an investment manager. This usually gets the conversation started; if not, then they are probably putting their "savings" into purchases or the mattress.

#17     May 15, 2008
  8. eagle

eagle

Right! Show them your numbers. No matter how many different words you used, they are not impressed. You're good only by number.

#18     May 15, 2008
  9. RAY

RAY

The last person that asked what I did; I told them that I was a "cigarette lighter repairman." (A friend gave me the suggestion)

Their face was priceless.

I also almost never ask others what they do. It is kind of funny when people ask what you "do," and you give them your answer and don't ask them. Some seem offended that you don't ask.

I have come to enjoy the what-do-you-do part of introductions/relationships.

#19     May 15, 2008
  10. Some of the biggest older grain traders I know live in lower middle class neighborhoods, and drive 10 year old F-150's. They use coupons at the grocery store, and are very tight with a buck. However, they will still swing a line of 10 million bushels at a crack, and are probably worth a few hundred million bucks....in cash. When asked why they live so cheaply, a universal reply is that nobody outside the markets knows that they're rich, and nobody bothers them for money. Plus, they have nobody to impress, as they don't really give a damn about anything but the markets and family.

Really, who gives a damn about what you do as long as it's honest work.

#20     May 15, 2008