Have You Ever Found Anything That Compares To Trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tommo, Aug 17, 2019.

1. tommo

tommo

i find trading so unique. I suppose the best analogy I can find is a ‘real life computer game’. It has all the appeal of a computer game. You go into your own world and solve puzzles by anticipating moves and building strategy. You turn the computer on and you’re instantly in the ‘game’. Only the score at the end is real money.

Is there any other pursuit other than financial trading that fits a similar description do you think?

I guess there is sports betting but I’m not convinced if an edge can be gained (maybe because there isn’t as much data such as a chart to look for patterns).

I’ve run some Pay Per Click adverts online to various products and that has an element of trading. Researching keywords to find what converts and adjusting spending accordingly.

But not sure there’s anything else where you can track data and build strategies like you can in trading.

Anyone else?

themickey likes this.
  2. Dieting, lifting weights, and running/boxing/martial arts or HIIT. These are the only things that really excite me in a similar way. Funny thing is, after you get good at trading, nothing else can really compare. But, the things I just mentioned will always be great. Oh almost forgot, mathematics is just like trading. Especially when you have to take really hard exams on probability theory.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. no

4. themickey

themickey

Creating algos is fun but hugely time consuming, a trade on a stock which I've never come across before can take me maybe 20-30 minutes to decide on and execute, an algo can take months upon months to complete, working 8 hours a day on. I'm creating a new algo now, been working on it maybe 10 months and it continually evolves and morphs into different creations.

5. tommo

tommo

Yeah I agree with the fitness aspect. I’m also into that. I enjoy tweaking my diet/workout to get different results and also the discipline and progressive improvement aspect of it. But left that off the list as I guess thinking more about financial pursuits.

6. Oh, in terms of strictly financial pursuits. Well, I think that (aggressively) trading the capital markets is like being a gladiator in a Roman Colosseum. Fight for your life and respect your opponent. Its like any other extremely competitive business. Running businesses successfully is thrilling and success is addictive.

7. tommo

tommo

Yup agree with that. I don’t think there’s any other business with the ease of entry of trading. To be able to data mine and then test those ideas out with almost instant feedback is so powerful. And it doesn’t take much to get started. I’ve seem guys start with 5-10k and build fortunes.

Other forms of business ultimately comes down to being able to sell. If you can sell you can go into business in any niche. But the beauty of trading is it takes no sales. It’s all based on data and playing with numbers. That’s unique only to trading I think.

8. Overnight

Overnight

I once had a coral snake slithering to me without my knowledge, and an astute family member next to me at the time noticed it, and used the garden hoe they were holding to kill it before it could bite me. Coral snakes are bad. That was a hell of an experience. Does that count?

comagnum and tommo like this.
  9. comagnum

comagnum

A coral snake - where do you live Overnight? I was out windsurfing a big storm at an outer reef on Oahu and saw a coral snake go slithering buy when I was broken down and had to swim in - that got my attention! They are very rare in Hawaii, but can get blown in with the larger storms.

Trading is the ultimate adult computer game - if you win you get to do anything you want.

_eug_, Collagen and Laissez Faire like this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

That was back when I was living Florida. Now, in the Boston area, we only have to worry about EEE from mosquitos, which will maybe not kill you, just put you into a coma, and if you survive that, leave you with lasting brain damage. Great!

At least you can see the coral snakes coming. Yikes.

#10     Aug 17, 2019
    comagnum likes this.