Have you ever felt when someone is behind you and supporting you

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ElectricSavant, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Hey, I hear ya ... I used to be a lot more bitter than I am now, and recently have been more easy-going. The past few years have really been life-changing for me, and while I used to have a relatively negative outlook on life (I sucked at school, dropped out of community college, had a rather low-paying job), I was able to use all the negativity and turn everything around into positives.

As a result now, I am quite well self-educated, have a pretty decent handle on life, and have a much more positive outlook on the future. The way the human mind works intrigues me ...

#11     Dec 29, 2006
  2. We must take the girls to the pub and listen to Billy Joel's, piano man. i am turning on the video on youtube as we post....

May the folks in the UK have a prosperous 2007 in one way or another...:)

Cheers..this link is for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edWOYy5Ld3U

#12     Dec 29, 2006
  3. The UK? I'm not from the UK ... but sure :)

I like the idea in the first part of your post though :D

#13     Dec 29, 2006
  4. got it...but play the link in the late edit...it is real!

Happy new Year you lifers!

#14     Dec 29, 2006
  5. Stop! You are having a false sense of security moment.

There is no one behind you, there is no one supporting you. No one is invincible. If you believe any of that, then its a false sense of security.

The buck stops with you and just you. There is no backup system. There will be no helicopters coming to take you off the roof when the flood comes. No calvary will come.

Think back to all the great disasters in history where someone thought that there was another person going to come help them out. Then they didnt take any action, no one came to help and disaster prevailed.

Its just a matter of you believing that the only solution to any situation is ultimately going to be you.

While its nice to think that someone is going to be there to back you up, the best thinking is to believe that there is no backup system.

There are many real stories about lone World War II soldiers caught in a hole and surrounded by German troops. The lone soldier then fights back armed only with a rifle. Mama, daddy, girlfriend, employer were not going to help this guy out, but yet he managed to overcome seemingly impossible odds.

So you are not a trader or a businessman. You are simply the lone man in a hole surrounded. The only support that family will give you is a letter or two. Its up to you to fight your way out of the hole. There simply is no backup.

#15     Dec 29, 2006
  6. When Wifey was in surgury...I did not leave her.

When I needed a loan BEFORE I started to work for my employer, who then was my friend only, he gave it to me...which I repayed.

When I became employed by Alan, he then allowed me to have advances when i got short in my cash flow several times...

When I needed hospitalization once in my life, my boss flew out to Denver from California to visit me in the hospital...

My boss is 70 years old and no longer "on the take"...

I have been with wifey for 20 years...she is "not on the take"

My dog, Hogan loves me and worships the ground I walk on...

These are real for me....

#16     Dec 29, 2006
  7. Ahhhh. What about moving? How many people have helped you out when it came time to move?

I can tell you this much about all of my moves. I was the lone soldier in a hole surrounded by enemy forces wrestling with boxes, rental trucks and cleaning up the place with the electric off. Nightmarish scenarios...

#17     Dec 29, 2006
  8. It sure is meaningful to have someone to depend on during the rough times. I've had to rely on other people (albeit as little as possible) to get to where I'm at today. I still think I could've made it without them, but ... it sure helped.

Thanks a lot for that video, by the way. It shows how people need to loosen up sometimes ... thanks again.

#18     Dec 29, 2006
  9. Well...Wifey....My boss and his wife... and my dog...

#19     Dec 29, 2006
  10. lol

#20     Dec 29, 2006