Have the "rich" been enslaved by the poor?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by axeman, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Yup. It's precisely this dynamic that infuriates me so much.

PUNISH the hard working and successful, and give the fruits of their labor to the people who did not earn it.

We are TEACHING the people of this nation to be SLACKERS!

I am DONE with busting my ass to make a buck. This government does a very good job of preventing me from getting ahead.

Yes.... I have had my own company too. Just not worth the government hassles and BULLSHIT.

Once you pass the 125K a year mark, they even start reducing your legal deductions. So why bother? Diminishing returns all the way.

I'm far better off than most americans though. No debt. Zero. Zip. Nada.
    No mortgage. Sold the house years ago.

I live on the cheap. I FEAR the economic future and business climate of this country.

I am preparing for hard times ahead.
    I'm staying liquid and getting better at trading. If I have to, i'll take the money and run to a country where I would truly be considered rich :D

peace

axeman

#61     Oct 7, 2003
  2. Aren't you the one whining about too much govt., too much taxes?

Put some specifics forward. Look over the federal budget. www.omb.gov. THe entire 2004 proposed budget is available on an excel file (8 mb).

Tell us what you would cut and how much that would save us in taxes.

I believe that the welfare state distorts the economy and that excessive taxation is punitive and counterproductive. I beleive the purpose of taxation is to pay for essential govt. services and to provide for the defense of the country. I oppose taxation as a means of redistribution of wealth, whether to poor moochers or to the Halliburtons in the corporate world, or to support bloated govt. agencies.

I also believe that a social safety net is a necessary public function, and can be accomplished on a limited basis without any resemblance to the welfare state that had been established in the 1960s.

I am a registered Democrat, to be able to vote in the local primary elections.

#62     Oct 7, 2003
  3. HOOOOORAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Our sales tax increase was rejected by voters last night....the main reason given? Voters did not TRUST the government to use the extra funds to build more lanes on our highways like they were claiming....in addition, they actually had the audacity to want to increase our sales tax so they could build TOLL roads....why not just float a bond and pay it back with the tolls?

#63     Oct 8, 2003
  4. cable

cable

It's nice that SOME voters in America still retain their reason. Most people (post 9-11) seem willing to give the government absolute fascistic control "for the good of America" or whatever. I find that if I question our taxes, the PATRIOT Act, or government corruption, I get slandered and threatened by everyone around me. It's not as bad now as immediately post-911, but it's still bad. I'm being called "communist", "terrorist", etc. for trying to have an intelligent conversation. It seems that nobody wants to think for themselves anymore. Nobody wants to be free. They all want to suck the teat of Big Brother and obey every command. Questioning Big Brother is treason. We're still not a free country.

Oh well, I take the money of the stupid, that's my job. I rejoice that there are so many morons out there who think the government is really acting in their best interests and that they're telling the truth when they issue a propaganda (uhh I mean "press") release.

And I went to that Heritage Foundation website linked from Page 1 of the thread... interesting, but I'm not sure I can trust people who can't spell.

#64     Oct 8, 2003
  5. Finally we agree on something.

I think it should be mandatory for the first question in presidential debates to be :" In view of the deficit[or tax increase, in Clinton's case], name three programs or departments you would eliminate as President. How much would this save? And what have you to done to date to accomplish this savings?"

I'm not holding my breath.

#65     Oct 8, 2003
  6. If we were to pay off the federal deficit in pennies, this is how many we would need.

[​IMG]

One quadrillion pennies = 10 trillion dollars.

Weight = 3 billion tons.

#66     Oct 8, 2003
  7. well then look no further, you've come to the right place! :D

#67     Oct 8, 2003
  8. " I believe that the welfare state distorts the economy and that excessive taxation is punitive and counterproductive. I beleive the purpose of taxation is to pay for essential govt. services and to provide for the defense of the country. I oppose taxation as a means of redistribution of wealth, whether to poor moochers or to the Halliburtons in the corporate world, or to support bloated govt. agencies.

I also believe that a social safety net is a necessary public function, and can be accomplished on a limited basis without any resemblance to the welfare state that had been established in the 1960s."

I agree too!

"I am a registered Democrat, to be able to vote in the local primary elections."

But this part, therefore, confuses me :D

peace

axeman

#68     Oct 8, 2003
  9. ramora

ramora

In an economics course years ago the professor described an example of 'practical economics'.

He was in a Central America country and tried to get a taxi. He could see several empty taxis but none showed any interest in taking a new fare until after 1 p.m. When a taxi stopped and picked him up he asked why the driver waited so long. The driver explained that with inflation increasing several percent each day, he only drives the taxi when he needs money, as parts and repairs in the future will far exceed what he is charging today. Save the car, work only as much as you need to pay for lunch and dinner, at lunch and dinner time.

We are getting closer to a time when 'voluntary simplicity' as a lifestyle makes sense. For a trader this could mean, living in the most technically advanced country with an inexpensive high standard of living and modern health care. HighTech + LowTouch. DSL computer connection in Thailand or Panama for example. Make only enough money to pay expenses and slowly grow the trading account. Pay little or no taxes after expenses.

The 'invisible hand' of self-interest works for individuals as well as corporations and governments.

ramora

#69     Oct 8, 2003
  10. Democrats rule where I live. NYC. I want to have a voice in the primaries in selecting who gets on the Dem. ticket. But I vote for whomever I wish without respect to party.

#70     Oct 8, 2003