Have some trade ideas and looking for extensible trading platform?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mizhael, Feb 4, 2009.

1. You recommend it to us because it's hard to understand?

#41     Feb 7, 2009
  2. If Wealthlab has the extensibility you need, then go for it. The other advantage to WL is the large community that supports it - makes it much easier to find information.

Of those software packages mentioned, OpenQuant and Right Edge are the most extensible because they are essentially just components that can be called from anywhere.

#42     Feb 7, 2009
  3. Thanks! What's the pricing on the Fidelity side?

#43     Feb 7, 2009
  4. Neuroshell and Stratasearch are both interesting - one is a neural net explorer, the second is a brute force system finder. Neither offers portfolio-level testing.

#44     Feb 7, 2009
  5. I don't know much about the software, but from what I've read, it is more an execution platform for automated trading than a system development platform. That is, you might develop a system in another tool, then use their APIs to deploy it to an automated environment. I could be wrong on this, but that's what I'm seeing....

#45     Feb 7, 2009
  6. wow, you have done all these researches already... //admire! and thanks!

#46     Feb 7, 2009
  7. I'll tell you one thing, it's been simply amazing to see how difficult a task it has been for anyone to meet and/or surpass Tradestation as far as functionality. Wealthlab has done this IMHO. However, if you take a look at Ninja Trader, you've got to write a ton of code just to incorporate a circular buffer....something that Tradestation had built-in over 10 years ago. It's also been amazing to see ThinkorSwim's great techie's struggle to create an easy-to-use scripting language that mimics Easy Language.
    It's just a shame the Cruz Brothers have never really improved the Tradestation platform; they seem to be content to sit on their laurels (and their $ millions!)

#47     Feb 7, 2009
  8. Definitely! I am still studying WealthLab, esp. how much I have to deposit and pay Fidelity in order to get it work. I have also applied to TradeStation. WealthLab can link with R, this amazed me. R is so great a statistical data analysis software that you can do all sorts of stats things on data, which opens a whole new world. TradeStation is great I heard. However people are concerned about its lack of support for portfolio level test. Not sure about WealthLab on this. I also want to see if TradeStation can link to R or Matlab easily.

Being both a techie guy and a finance guy myself, I know it's awfully hard to get people from both sides to talk to each other. Techies just simply don't understand business and customer's feeling.

Hey, you can pull out from any standard data-structure C++ book to get the circular buffer, right?

#48     Feb 7, 2009
  9. byteme

byteme

I think droskill and others have been very helpful and patient with replies on this thread re: possible platforms.

In the end, I think you just have to take the car for a test-drive.

Also check out this blog/website developed by another ET member with a list of resources for ATS, including a section on platforms, both commercial and open source:

http://coreyhoffstein.com/?page_id=24

It's not complete but it's getting there.

Good luck. I personally would suggest spending at least a month visiting each website, downloading software, speaking with sales to find out pricing etc. for yourself. It takes quite a while sometimes to find out about fundamental flaws in some of the software.

If you can, collate all of the information when you've finished your research and re-contribute it back to ET!

Good luck.

#49     Feb 7, 2009
  10. Hi mizhael,

In C++ you can use the STL (Standard-Template-Library). It has a ‘build-in’ circular buffer. Have a look at this site for more information:
    http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/queue/

Hope this will help a bit….
    Daniel

#50     Feb 7, 2009