Have I just been lucky today?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by interdigital, Jan 11, 2008.

1. How about "Makes you wonder how a fool and his money ever met in the first place."

Gordon Gecko

(not exact, off top of my head)

Good Luck!

#41     Jan 11, 2008
  2. So you're still down on the trade. Thank Lady Luck and be sure to keep your homework assignments current. Looks like your latest tuition installment is on time.

Good Luck!
    :p

#42     Jan 11, 2008
  3. (ahem)

#43     Jan 11, 2008
  4. dsq

dsq

"The shareholders of this company acknowledge that we will be proven either idiots or total geniuses."

wow,either they sound like they dont have much confidence and are giving an advance caveat emptor so when they do get busted they can say 'we warned everybody'.

" But the company is on a roll as far as legal decisions go, and I am confident it will ultimately end up successful."

sounds just like internet hype of a few yrs ago...you obviously werent around for the successful conclusion of that era, were you?

at least get rid of 50% of your position and hedge the rest.

#44     Jan 11, 2008
  5. why are you guys trying to talk him out of this? he clearly understands the risks of putting most of his wealth into one stock. he's trying for the homerun ball. he'll either strike gold or strike out. so what if he wants to take this approach?

i've know people in similar situations, except their wealth was tied up in their company stock options. many got nothing out of it, but a lucky few became millionares a couple of times over.

#45     Jan 11, 2008
  6. I'm down about 10% from my most recent purchase, but given that I've made profits from it before, I'm still up on it. But this isn't a trade, it's an investment. You're not supposed to care about charts with investments. I won't be putting a stop loss on this one based on any technicals. With investments, you only sell if the fundamentals change.

#46     Jan 12, 2008
  7. So you've never had a losing day in your life?

#47     Jan 12, 2008
  8. How are legal victories the same as the dot-com boom, which I traded in? When this company defeats Nokia and Samsung in the ITC, and their handsets face injunctions, those companies will sign up and the stock will soar.

The "idiots or total geniuses" thing reflects what many people think, and what this thread has shown, that most people think putting all your money into one basket is a bad idea. Well many people also think that trading is a fast way to lose your money. So if you guys want to call people like me who put all their eggs into one basket idiots (even though some of us will be successful), then you should also call all traders idiots (even though some of them are successful).

#48     Jan 12, 2008
  9. Yeah, looking for the grand slam. The one thing that I find puzzling is the shareholder base for IDCC. Reading the message boards, there are so many IDCC shareholders who are in their 60s and 70s who have substantial holdings. If a guy like me, who is in his early 30s, loses his money on the stock, that's not going to destroy my life. But for those people to risk their retirement money like that is insane, IMO.

#49     Jan 12, 2008
  10. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Based on what I have read here, interdigital, you are a complete piker until proven otherwise.

#50     Jan 12, 2008