Hate Speech or Common Sense?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Goode's views on Muslims seen apart from GOP
    By Seth McLaughlin
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    December 23, 2006

A top Northern Virginia Democrat and a local Islamic leader yesterday said Rep. Virgil H. Goode Jr.'s push to tighten immigration laws to stop Muslims from being elected and American values from eroding does not cast a negative light on the Republican Party.
    "I think the remarks cast a negative light on Virgil, not the Republican Party," said Rep. James P. Moran, Virginia Democrat. "People know that people like [Rep. Thomas M.] Davis meet regularly with Muslim Americans, and I am sure other Republicans must do so as well."
    Makhdoom Zia, imam of the Mustafa Center in Annandale, agreed.
    "We don't think this is reflective of anything on the part of the Republican Party, but do realize there are a lot of people in both parties that need to learn much more about Islam," he said. "We will stop short of calling [Mr. Goode] a bigot, but certainly encourage him to learn more about Islam."
    Mr. Moran said the combination of Mr. Goode's remarks, Sen. George Allen's "macaca" comment and Republican efforts to tighten immigration laws should concern the Republican Party.
    "It all adds up to something that is probably somewhat harmful to Republicans," Mr. Moran said.
    Mr. Goode, a Virginia Republican who represents the state's 5th Congressional District, found himself in the national spotlight this week after he sent a letter to constituents, criticizing Rep.-elect Keith Ellison's decision to take his oath of office on the Koran, rather than the Bible.
    Mr. Ellison, Minnesota Democrat, is the first Muslim elected to Congress. He is a Detroit native who converted to Islam in college.
    In the Dec. 7 letter Mr. Goode wrote: "The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of the district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position of immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran. ... I fear that in the next century will we have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America and to prevent our resources from being swamped."
    Republicans and Democrats said the Constitution does not require a person to pass a "religious test" to serve in public office.
    House members are sworn in en masse in the chamber, and no Bible or other religious document is used for the oath. However, several incoming House members use Bibles for their individual swearing-in ceremony, which is administered by the House speaker and takes place after the official group oath.
    In 1997, Sen. Gordon H. Smith, Oregon Republican, carried a volume of Mormon Scriptures that included the Bible and the Book of Mormon at his swearing-in ceremony. Others have carried the Torah.
    Mr. Goode's remarks were far different from the message Mr. Davis has been touting.
    Mr. Davis, a Virginia Republican, has said Republicans must cultivate more minority candidates and spread the conservative message at "the cultural fairs, the mosques, the temples, the community centers and urban communities that we have been ignoring for too long and getting buried on election night."
    "It's not that we have to change our message," he told The Times earlier this month. "We have a great message. We sometimes need different messengers."
    Mr. Zia said Mr. Davis realizes that Muslims are playing a larger role in American politics. "Muslims are becoming more and more politically involved," he said. "A big number voted in the senatorial and congressional elections."
    Mr. Zia said the Muslim community also knows that it must work to dispel the negative misconceptions that have lingered since September 11.
    Robert D. Holsworth, dean of the College of Humanities and Sciences at Virginia Commonwealth University, shared Mr. Moran's thoughts that Mr. Goode, not the Republican Party, will bear the brunt of the backlash for the congressman's comments.
    "Clearly the Democrats are going to try to utilize this as a way to call attention to what they consider to be the narrowness in the Republican Party," he said.

To me this episode neatly illustrates the confusion mindless multiculturalism and PC have brought. I would have thought that any reasonable person could look at the problem muslim immigration has caused all over europe and conclude that at this time, it might be a good idea to limit it here. Apparently not. Even talking about it gets you labled a hate monger.

I can only imagine Rep. Moran and Rep. Davis both think that having more muslims here is a good idea.

2. u are fucked and that's because u dont have a clear identity...u never had one and never will.
    also the british lost their identity because they had a weak one, never really gave a whoop, and are paying the ultimate price...from more, bigger mosques, entire communities and districts populated and run by muslims to absurd demands and speeches about the need to introduce fatah law and restrict freedoms, especially for women. in my country every proposal to build a mosque by the local muslims [a negligible minority] has been met by a 'vaffanculo, tu e la tua moschea'. and this attitude has kept and will continue to keep italy immune from integration. on the other hand u dont have much to lose anyways, so why even bother.

3. Oh... not to worry.

If the ** Dutch ** can crack down on their Muslim Fifth Column...
    The rest of EU is not far behind.
    And Turkey's potential membership is dead, dead, dead.

Also... the Dems do not have a 2008 candidate with military experience.
    Hillary, Obama, Edwards for Commander-in-Chief?

Laughable.

The path is clear for McCain or Giuliani.
    These guys know how to play hardball.

4. Arnie

Arnie

I have never understood why we allow people into this country that clearly do not share our values.

5. the former america has an acute "jewish" problem whose predictable symptoms are becoming more and more manifest with every edition of the new york times and the goldberg review......there is no recovery from this affliction sans eradication and strong will.

6. Racism is illegal in Canada.
    Your post would be illegal in Canada... and subject to prosecution.

Great law... keeps people like you out.

7. I wonder what the reaction would have been if Rep. Virgil H. Goode Jr.'s comments had been on the fact that Zionist Jews control every facet of the american economy and media. Let's guess........hmmmmm.......

LOL!! :D

8. yeah... people like patrick henry, nathan hale, andrew jackson would all be hate criminals today and locked up for freedom of speech. no offense hounddog but we love our bill of rights here. please stay in canada and we wont offend you with pesky lil documents like the constitution or the DoI. i may not agree with the poster's comments but i will fight like hell to keep people like you from trying to terminate his right to say it.

9. Another redneck who understands that the he and his kinfolk can't compete with the Jews, never have and never will. It must be a bitch to have just enough intelligence to understand that you're essentially a handicapped person, by virtue of your lack of intellect.

You could try to eradicate the Jews, but you're probably too fucking stupid to figure out how to do it.

Have another smoke, pop a tab on a Bud, rub the last of the Kwellada on yourself and head on out to to the bus stop for a trip to Mickey D's and a Big Mac or four. That's about all your pathetic life will ever amount to.

10. This entire thread would be illegal. A respected journalist and author was prosecuted in Italy for writing a book which was critical of islam.

Thanks, but I'd prefer to be offended occasionally than stifle discussion to the lowest PC common denominator.

#10     Dec 26, 2006