Hate crime arrest for anti-homosexual publication (in the US!)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by StockRanger, May 31, 2007.

1. Well, we don't know what the flier says. I made that clear. Unless it expressly advocated violence though, I find the action of the school and police to be overreaching.

#11     Jun 1, 2007
  2. Two things without getting to into this:

1. I know some facts about the case. The girl has been arrested about a dozen times the past 3 years. Pot possession ect. She's not in jail over a stupid prank. She's a troubled teen.

2. Nik, restraining free speech in order to "protect" people who are the targets of hatred is not progressive, it's Orwellian. There's people out there who think the word "nigger" should be banned. Or if you call someone a "fag" you could be arrested. Freedom means having the right to be an asshole. I hear it's now a "law" within the EU that one can't dis the holocaust. What is this? The middle ages? Make fun of the king and get the guillotine?

And the right-wingers are correct. You can insult Christians until the cows come home but you best not attack a sacred cow of the secular left. I'm sure you nappy ho's already know that though.......

#12     Jun 1, 2007
  3. What's Wrong with Hate Laws?

A Few Examples:

In Canada,

* A Christian was fined $6,000 for printing 3 Bible verses against homosexuality. A newspaper was fined $6,000 for accepting his ad.

* A Christian printer was fined $5,000 for refusing to print stationery for homosexual activists. He was bankrupted after spending $175,000 contesting the charge.

* A Christian was fined $35,000 for distributing “hate literature”--tracts critical of homosexuality.

* Church school administrators were forced to hire a known homosexual, under threat of prison.

* A pastor was told it’s a “hate crime” to hand out gospel tracts, punishable by prison.

In Australia,

* Two Christians were indicted for criticizing Islam, another for criticizing Zionism.

In Britain,

* Two political activists were indicted, facing 7 years in prison, for describing Islam as a “wicked faith.” A filmmaker was threatened with arrest for using the term “homosexual” rather than “gay.”

In Sweden,

* A pastor faced prison for reading from the pulpit Scriptures critical of homosexuality.

In Holland

* It’s now a “hate crime” to criticize fornicators and adulterers.

In Germany,

* A Catholic priest faces jail for the “hate crime” of publicly criticizing abortionists.

In Canada, Australia, and most of Europe, it’s now a “hate crime” to publicly criticize protected groups. Truth is not allowed as evidence in hate crimes trials.

All that matters are the delicate feelings of members of federally protected groups. A homosexual can claim emotional damage from hearing Scripture that describes his lifestyle as an abomination. He can press charges against the pastor or broadcaster who merely reads the Bible in public. Liberals and non-Christians are also increasingly unprotected from a Muslim who objects to their criticism of Islam. The “hater” can be fined thousands of dollars and even imprisoned!

Think this can’t happen in America? Think again.
    The Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith, architect of “anti-hate” laws worldwide, has reintroduced its federal hate bill, HR 254. ADL says the purpose of the “David Ray Hate Crimes Prevention Act” is to end violent physical hate crimes.

That’s just what ADL told lawmakers in Canada, Britain, Sweden, etc. Soon after ADL’s hate bill was passed, it broadened through legal precedents to outlaw “verbal violence” against protected groups.

Laws passed to end violent hate crimes soon criminalized free speech.

The problem is hate laws’ twisted definition of hate. ADL, which presently administers the US government’s hate crimes enforcement program, says “hate” equals bias against federally protected groups, particularly homosexuals. What document is most biased against homosexuality? The Holy Bible. Bible-believing Christians thus become “haters,” potential hate criminals - the ultimate target of ADL’s distorted definitions of hate and hate crimes.

Source: http://www.truthtellers.org
    http://www.truthtellers.org/alerts/flyertext.html

#13     Jun 1, 2007
  4. Yes, I think you're right - mea culpa.

With regard to Canada being notorious for PC laws which suppress free speech... okay, if that's the impression you've developed, I guess I would have to consider it. Certainly there is an academic chill here, but I personally haven't heard about any of the incidents the OP lists in the post above. The website he cites sounds a little strange to me, and I won't be clicking on that link.

I'll briefly respond to the free speech thing below.

#14     Jun 10, 2007
  5. Does pot possession mean you're 'troubled'? :)

Please see my post above in response to AAA.

Obviously the free speech debate is a complex one and I value it - that's why I have never called for the permanent banning of the insane Romanian or any of the other brainless Anti-Semites on here.... or the banning of those who have said that they have something against people of non-European descent.

I have no problem restraining hate speech - that is, speech which incites others to violence. If you publish a pamphlet that says the best thing to do is to bash a homo's skull in, you should be in jail along with the other nut cases. If you publish a pamphlet that says the Holocaust never happened, you should probably be institutionalized, but that isn't hate speech.

Another thing... it seems to me that there is very little complaint about recent speech which suggests violence against religious fanatics who love to behead people on the internet and also behead their own teenage girls because they were flirting with young men (that is, very little complaint except from people like the Disgusting Troll). Hmmmm... I wonder why that is? I wonder why that speech isn't censured but faith-informed or psychopathology-informed prejudices like a hatred of homosexuals or Jews is? Could it be ... common sense?

#15     Jun 10, 2007
  6. i have to admit i was surprised by the outrage the people showed calling their elected officials in washington over the latest amnesty scam. the politicians were no doubt surprised as well. i know i called and the ones answering the phones were overwhelmed. it is sad that the 10% to 20% are protecting the sheep people but we have no choice.

these scumbags in wash tried to do it by stealth and i am sure they will try again. i just hope we are as galvanized over attacks on the 1st amendment as we were over scamnesty.

#16     Jun 10, 2007