Has there ever been a single documented case of profitable live trades?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by whred, Jan 13, 2012.

1. whred

whred

The few people that I've known who trade for a living either spent a lot of time getting to that point, or were scraping by with little room for error. It was not easy for the former, and is not easy for the latter. When I see people claiming it is easy, and spending a lot of time and energy defending their claims, I wonder why they don't just prove it. Since I haven't spent a lot of time researching this, I thought maybe it was possible one of them had done this, which is why I asked. Back in the day, people would point to Larry Williams as the example.

I'm not talking about people who did well, then backed up their claims with documentation. There are plenty of people who can do that. I'm talking about people who said "I'm going to show you how I make money", and then demonstrated it.

#31     Jan 13, 2012
  2. Bob111

Bob111

one of my friends (profitable one) says following many years ago(rough translation from russian): taking away someone else money is intimate thing..just like a sex with a spouse..why would some one give you a free video lesson? i wouldn't..

#32     Jan 13, 2012
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I highly recommend you don't spend the time & energy researching traders that claim trading is easy and anyone can be consistently profitable while doing such.

Just the same, don't worry about why those traders don't prove it to anyone that ask for such proof.

#33     Jan 13, 2012
  4. Tradester

Tradester

Well since no one else mentioned, there is the huge legal risk of trading live on video, look up the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. It's a federal law that applies even to non-licensed traders and advisers, and is written such that even if it's implied that you are giving trading advice even indirectly it's a no no.

If you're making a living or a good supplement to your living trading, why risk it for some ego stroking by doing it on video?

#34     Jan 13, 2012
  5. because daytrading is usually discretionary, and discretionary trading doesn't work. that's why there are no profitable screencasting daytraders.

#35     Jan 13, 2012
  6. sheda

sheda

Why the hell would you bother day trading stocks inthe first place?

#36     Jan 13, 2012
  7. Zen Student wrote..in part...

""Short answer: depends on your definition of successful and how prepared you are to look. Alternatively, you could become as big a success as your ability and effort will allow, and experience first hand whether consistent profitability can exist for you. Critical requirements: reliable trading plan, stable personality, self knowledge / self honesty and the pursuit of the truth.""

That's the best paragraph I've yet read on ET.

#37     Jan 13, 2012
  8. Let's see:

C2 is a hypothetical trading forum attracting very little institutional attention, so that's out (ie:not what the op was asking). The many thousands of systems that have been created there can very easily be attributed to random luck with only a select few ranked highly on C2's vendor rating.

World Cup has less than 20 traders who make big bucks at $100 to $300 per unit per month and I was planning on going that route.

I tried to use Adobe Captivate but it was a resource hog and not able to capture my trading since it used up way too much memory.

I've started putting my trades I'm doing for the World Cup immediately onto my twitter, and I guarantee I'm one of the only people in the world actually doing that. This is as close to being on camera as I ought to get, because the point of it is to attract traffic to my various websites and get a subscriber base.

I think it will be very easy to get noticed that way as soon as I'm out of incubation for World Cup Advisor's Group. Not quite there yet, but we'd been having connectivity problems with Multicharts and PFG so we did start one incubation period, had some technical problems due to bugs in Multicharts, then were asked to start another period of incubation, but, me being me, I would rather not wait to attract attention if subscription revenue is what I'm after.

I'm trying to be as vague as possible about myself, but I know the iBroker app supported by PFG allows server based automated posting of live trades to twitter, which then post to facebook and linkedin so that's all you're ever going to see as far as taping a live recording.

Most of my days are pretty boring anyway. If you were to watch my automated strategies live you wouldn't learn much, but that is not what I was trying to do with captivate, and I think I could try Camtasia but that is another issue entirely since I do not want to give away my methods, or even talk about them. I've spent years preparing them for this, and I'm in a unique position anyway to be living rent free only concerned about profitable trading opportunities and strategies.

NoDoji's twitter does not have live trades, even though she makes the calls after the fact, she probably doesn't have a broker that would do this, but if she has iBroker, maybe she just doesn't want to.

#38     Jan 13, 2012
  9. Bob111

Bob111

yeah..go for futures! nah...go for options and SSf's!...nah...options on SSf's!:p

#39     Jan 13, 2012
  10. Shanb

Shanb

Seems like you have worked with or are one of the "successful". In your opinion what separates the folks that get to the top and those that end up grinding a living? Let's forget the other group of traders that never make it!

I have friends that grind out a living in this business. I also have met traders that excel and make the big bucks. I've even met one of the traders that you mentioned in your post lol. I have my opinion and theories...I want to hear yours.

#40     Jan 13, 2012