Has there ever been a single documented case of profitable live trades?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by whred, Jan 13, 2012.

1. whred

whred

Damn, we've been caught!! This was our 8th attempt, our next one will be Plan...9!

#21     Jan 13, 2012
  2. trendo

trendo

I don't know, I wasn't there, but if the broker said that at his own retirement party, could it be that he said it in jest? It sounds like he was just using a little self deprecating humor. Is there an article you can post a link to?

#22     Jan 13, 2012
  3. Bob111

Bob111

any comments on 10 months REAL daytrader statement? i can show you same equity chart for few years..(if you pay for expenses)..looks like you are a bit picky..SSDD..i guess you are paid by clicks or something...get lost...would ya?

#23     Jan 13, 2012
  4. whred

whred

Hi Zen, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I had the interesting experience of knowing someone who went from being a "basement hacker" to what is now called a professional quant, and who is now basically retired. So I have seen someone do what a lot of people claim to do. The person I knew, however, would never be caught dead in front of a camera. My question in this thread was mostly regarding the plethora of people who discuss trading methods, even on video, yet never make a public trade.

I haven't been very focused on the trading world for about 10 years, so I was really not aware that there sites dedicated to demonstrating people profitable trading. Recently I saw the Collective 2 site, and thought, "Ha, I could probably do as well these guys with what I was tinkering with 10 years ago". So I decided I would try.

Most of what I have seen work comes from people who came to trading from outside the investment world, and had to be "helped" by professionals in order to participate in the industry (their methods originated in weather prediction). Part of my self-education is to expose myself to as much material as possible, which has included a lot of promotional garbage (for "indicators, etc). When I would read that stuff, I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't just demonstrate it working (though I think I can guess why!).

Not to pick on TheRumbledOne, but when I saw his videos, I thought, "Gee, this guy has a method he is freely sharing, and is making almost daily videos, why doesn't he just point the camera at the screen?". So I suggested it to him, and he declined. Perhaps he will change his mind, or someone like him will take up that challenge.

I guess I should have been more clear when I posted this thread, that I was mostly thinking about the "gurus" who say that profitably trading is very simple, how anyone with half a brain can do it, and all you have to do is understand what they are trying to tell you. If I was one of those people, I would be making videos every single day to remove any doubt that I knew what I was doing, and I knew what I was talking about.

There have been a few "grinders" I have known, people who were making enough to live off their profits, but always afraid that a stretch of bad luck would put them back looking for a day job (in a economy where there are few). Their anxiety level was too high for me.

I will look up those pros you mentioned that posted their P&L here. thanks!

#24     Jan 13, 2012
  5. whred

whred

Can you explain to me what you are talking about? I'm guessing you didn't get my "Plan 9 From Outer Space" joke. You seem to be aiming your hostility at whomever you think I am.

#25     Jan 13, 2012
  6. whred

whred

I think I have read it in several places, but a quick google check did not reveal it. I thought I had read it in either Darvas or O'Neil's books. I have a vague memory of the guy retiring some time in the 60's or 70's, it wasn't recent. It was mentioned in a discussion about how rare/impossible it was for people to beat the market (at least at that time). I remember the story as the older broker implying to the younger brokers that ultimately trading was gambling (which they did not want to admit, but he had seen).

If I see it again, I will post it here and email it to you.

I did just read another ancedote about the guy who mails out "up" and "down" market predictions to 256 brokerages, then mails them again to the 128 brokerages that got the correct guess. then he mails out to the 64, then the 32, then the 16, then 8, then 4, then 2. He finally mails the last brokerage and says, "I've told you 8 times in a row which way the market will go, and I've been right 8 times, and the 9th time will cost you guys $1M".

there should be a snopes.com for these stories

#26     Jan 13, 2012
  7. Bob111

Bob111

i guess you either blind,unable to understand or lazy..or all above....

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232912&perpage=6&pagenumber=5

if it's too hard for you to click on link or you have a problem to understand a simple brokers statement...107% in 10 month...and it's just one little account ...w\o practically any drawdowns..just like a fucking money market in your local bank....

here-
    [​IMG]
    you are paid per click,aren't you? just remember-if you are unable to find something-it doesn't mean that it's doesn't exist...it's mean that you are unable to find it.. just stay away from trading and this forum please...thank you,have nice day.

#27     Jan 13, 2012
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

The fact that you do know profitable traders isn't the question. The issue is that they haven't posted any live videos of their trading or the issue is that your question only involves other traders that say trading is easy and that anyone can do it while not providing any proof that such is true. :confused:

#28     Jan 13, 2012
  9. whred

whred

I think I get now, you're an ASS. Thanks for clearing that up.

#29     Jan 13, 2012
  10. Bob111

Bob111

yep...cause i'm on top and you at bottom..get use to it or try to work harder..thank you,have a nice day..:p

#30     Jan 13, 2012