Has the Housing Market Bottomed?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by TradersLog, Nov 20, 2006.

Will housing prices continue to fall?

1. Yes, absolutely

38 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. No, this is the bottom

13 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Maybe

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. vladn

vladn

Did I say anywhere that printing money is a good thing ? It is in fact a path to disaster although a prolonged one and therefore politically more easily passable.

Any country with trade deficit and debt measured in it's own currency has incentives to devalue it's currency for two obvious reasons. Countries with positive balance are trying to resist that. Unique US position as the world largest consumer adds some (but not infinite) leverage to the game forcing countries-producers to devalue their currencies as well. US essentially inpose a world tax in the form of global inflation.

After first hard signs of US economy slowdown and before the global financial system fuses break there will be massive flight of liquidity to hard assets - real estate, precious metals, etc. And I do not expect this transitional period to last long - till the end of 07 maybe...

#21     Nov 22, 2006
  2. TraderD

TraderD

Things, in general, come to Seattle with delay. But they come eventually.

Have you seen the cranes in Bellevue? There is a lot of stuff coming to market. Whole city looks like a construction site. And they are building really fast.

Heard cases from flippers of negative cashflow. Same stories as in another parts of the country.

#22     Nov 23, 2006
  3. =================================

Exactly;
    plenty of opportunities in RE:cool:

#23     Nov 23, 2006
  4. I read somewhere a good point, which is a lot of nasdog stocks declined around %90 from the peak. Do you really think home prices anywhere in america will decline %90? I don't know I really am asking.

I think if prices decline even %20 to %30 it is more a correction.

#24     Nov 23, 2006
  5. kashirin

kashirin

20% is a huge decline. it's a crash.
    even 10% nationwide decline will make thing very bad.
    What would be the best thing is around 3-5% decline nationwide and then prolonged flat period. maybe for 5-10 years or even longer to allow wages to grow so they would correspond to house prices as at prebubble levels.

#25     Nov 23, 2006
  6. Don't forget it also depends on where you live.

They're still predicting a 15-20% increase in 2007 here (Calgary)

#26     Nov 23, 2006
  7. Really, where?

#27     Nov 23, 2006
  8. S2007S

S2007S

Housing will not decline 90% from its peak....10-30% is possible....

#28     Nov 24, 2006
  9. crnindia

crnindia

The way realty funds are trying to enter India and the way property stocks in india are going up, I doubt that bottom is still near. The best i think is sideways move when weak players exit and then next rally should start. Here in India prices are stagnant from last 6 months.

#29     Nov 24, 2006