Has the fed lost control?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Aaron Copland, Jun 26, 2008.

1. LOL!

Quite the opposite.

The Fed and Gang are very much in control. You just don't see it.

#11     Jun 26, 2008
  2. S2007S

S2007S

Fed should raise rates now!!!!!!

#12     Jun 26, 2008
  3. dorfman

dorfman

actually, i hope they're NOT in control

i'd hate to think this is what they WANT

#13     Jun 26, 2008
  4. I thought there may be a strange shot of common sense at the FOMC yesterday with a 50bps tightening, but...:mad:

#14     Jun 26, 2008
  5. Stop hoping and start thinking. Watch what they do, ignore what they say.

The answer is quite clear.

#15     Jun 26, 2008
  6. bl33p

bl33p

They shouldn't have begun cutting in the first place. Sept 2007 was when the seeds of destruction were sown. EU will try to keep a reasonable anti-inflationary monetary policy (=raise rates) which will make dollar look even more unattractive.

Fed all talk, no action. If this continues markets will be -50% by next Jan.

#16     Jun 27, 2008
  7. everyday another face appears on cnbc or in the news saying the financials are another buy.

how wrong have they guys been?

its a shocker.

the fact remains that interest rates have to go up and go up quickly in order to restore some credibility and faith in the central banks and the system.

i checked in a book on volcker and in the face of rising unemployment, business's going under and weak data this guy ramped rates up to 22%.

when asked by the senate banking committee what on earth he was doing he leaned back in his chair took a puff on his cigar and replied

' because someone has to do it and nobody else wants to. im prepared to do this no matter what the consequences for the long term good of the country and its people.'

'im prepared to see it through to the end senator.'

'next question please committee.'

#17     Jun 27, 2008
  8. Tell me, if you're so smart and understand all the underlying market dynamics so well - in fact you say you are the only one who understands what's going on in the macro economy right now.

Then why did you go keep going long and averaging down stocks that are imploding? LEH, GM, UYG

#18     Jun 27, 2008
  9. I still think the govt's should band together and wipe out this "bad debt" issue. In terms of the oil, hey, we can always invade Canada. What's another war (well, not really a war). More like an invasion.

#19     Jun 27, 2008
  10. Central banks from around the world are talking tough and actually doing something about it by raising rates. This defacto means that the Fed is cutting rates by standing still. At the very least the Fed needs to match the ECB hike for hike to be on even keel. I'm a firm believer that the 'dual mandate' era of the Fed will come to an end soon.

#20     Jun 27, 2008