Has the Fed been buying stocks ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by stoxx4shortrun, Nov 16, 2009.

1. I can't explain the continued rally in stocks
    since March. It makes sense to me now, the Fed has probably been out there buying stocks all along. Who else would be buying otherwise besides hedge funds.
    Hedgies are huge nowadays but they would be out by now, and they are according to many commentators. If they had been alone in buying, the market would have corrected. Mutual funds have no cash to put to work I understand, inflows have been paltry . Shorts have given up trying like me.
    Retail investors probably have sworn off stocks for years, so who is buying ?
    The Fed must be. They want to reflate housing they told us that but they would never tell of buying the stockmarket .

2. jnorty

jnorty

no shit sherlock you're a genius. the fed has been buying with both fists threw gs for 7 months. the whole idea was to sky stocks so banks and other co's could raise huge $'s threw issuing stock. if not the us taxpayer would have had to save banks left and right. it was cheaper the sky stocks

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

They bought GM didn't they?

:)

4. How do you know GS has been buying stocks ? Is there some data backing that theory ?

5. I have been buying them. And will sell them when we make a lower high and lower low.

6. Go do some searching on the NYSE web site for program trading ;-)

http://www.nyse.com/financials/brokervolume.html

-gastropod