Has my broker broke SEC law?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jen123, May 10, 2008.

1. jen123

jen123

Hi, all:
    The day trading firm I have been trading with in NY has the same requirement with Tuco Trading( $5,000 deposit, 20:1 leverage). However, Tuco trading got caught by SEC recently.

Can anyone tell me if my broker is illegal ? If so, why are there still so many day trading firms like this in new york?
    Will they get shut down like Tuco if they got caught?

I copied over some information about Tuco here.

"The Securities and Exchange Commission today announced that it has obtained an emergency court order against an unregistered securities day-trading firm in La Jolla, Calif., that was not disclosing to traders that more than one-third of their money was being used to cover other traders' losses or pay firm expenses.
    The SEC's complaint also alleges that for each $1 in the trader's sub-account, Tuco and Frederick allowed the traders at Tuco to use up to $20 of Tuco's equity, which has been invested by other traders, to purchase securities (20:1 buying power). NASD and NYSE regulations, however, only allow a day-trader to have 4:1 buying power. they allowed traders to day-trade without meeting the $25,000 minimum equity requirement under NASD regulations for such trading. "

The only difference is my broker probably registered.

2. sounds identical to tuco.... i would just ask them