Has IB's Data Feed Become Useless?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by version77, Sep 14, 2006.

1. kowboy

kowboy

Steve at IB,

I'm wathching L2 on Grmn now and the spread is 10 c on IB L2 on smart order routing. With another L2 program from another broker, the spread is only 4 c.

I notice the L2 on IB is not getting/posting the inside a lot of the time on the L2 quote panel.

The inside most nearly represents SIZE, and when an ECN is on the inside it is not displayed on IB L2. Even when Isld routing is selcted, the inside Isld is not displayed as well at times.

I find this impossible and totally not acceptable for scalping purposes.

What do you think the problem is?

Thanks

#31     Sep 25, 2006
  2. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

kowboy,
    You're probably best to troubleshoot this in real-time with the CS desk.
    I presume you are looking at Level 2 quotes and not the Market Depth window? Also are you subscribed to ARCA? Since last week ARCA quotes now require a seperate subsription so you will not see them in the SMART quote unless you have subscribed.
    Re-reading your post - do you mean that you can see the inside quote on the market data line, but when you bring up Level 2, it sometimes does not show the inside market? If this is your observation, then I suggest taking a screenshot next time it happens and send it to CS. Also try calling in when it happens, you can then compare your L2 with the CSR's and check whether the problem is isolated to yourself or more widespread. If there is a problem they can forward the problem onto programming.

#32     Sep 25, 2006
  3. kowboy

kowboy

Steve at IB,

Here's all you need to know via screenshot.

#33     Sep 26, 2006
  4. kowboy

kowboy

Steve at IB,

Here is a lagging level 2 quote.

#34     Sep 26, 2006
  5. kowboy

kowboy

Steve at IB,

Haven't heard back from you.

Thanks

#35     Sep 27, 2006
  6. LOL. I think they might just have decided not to promote threads with names like this one by answering them. I would if I was them but personally I think they're too soft.

FWIW I thought your review overstated the short term data issues. Plenty of day trading options (not swing or long term) work just fine with current data.

#36     Sep 27, 2006
  7. kowboy

kowboy

Hi Kiwi,

Thanks Kiwi. I didn't quite understand your last sentence and am just trying to understand what your opinion was. Did you mean TWS data feed is/is not ok for options and is/is not for swing or long term?

BTW what's your opinion of the previous screen shots?

Thanks for your reply.

#37     Sep 27, 2006
  8. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

kowboy,
    I would like to help, but I am in Hong Kong so for me to test this it needs to be done in the middle of the night - which I have done, and was unable to replicate. I also have no idea of your account number or account configuration.

I would strongly suggest to call the US desk in real-time when this happens. They can then test this on the phone with you using one of their logins. This will resolve whether it's a client wide problem or isolated to a small group of accounts or your account. They can then also check your account configuration and will be able to troubleshoot and send it direct to the developers if indeed there is a problem.

fyi.. I haven't seen any similar complaints, however, I'm not in the office during the US timezone.

#38     Sep 27, 2006
  9. kowboy

kowboy

Ok Steve, will do

#39     Sep 27, 2006
  10. kowboy

kowboy

Steve at IB, I did as you requested and contacted CS about this.

Wish I could help you more on this but I am finished, unless IB chooses to follow through. After talking to CS I feel like I've pushed on the end of a chain expecting the other end to move.

Thanks

#40     Sep 28, 2006