Has ET reached the Tipping Point?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Xspurt, Sep 23, 2012.

1. It's good that you have started this thread, and yes some of us do care.

I believe it is possible to have strong views on a subject and discuss it in a reasoned, reasonable manner without the discussion degenerating into insults and abuse. Sadly that happens all too often here.

There is beauty in free vigorous discussion, but for reasons I do not claim to understand, it does not seem to flourish in too genteel an environment.

If the end result of this thread is that some of the crassness is removed from ET, that would be a very good thing.

#11     Sep 23, 2012
  2. Pimping for BM. That place is dumber than dogshit.

#12     Sep 23, 2012
  3. vicirek

vicirek

Everything is fine in ET land. Keep it free and respect all contributors: the ones you like and dislike. Each post has some info in it even if you think it is the most dumb and abusive. This is the strength of ET board.

#13     Sep 23, 2012
  4. BMT is too hardcore. That dude can be a real nazi with moderating.

A happy-medium would be nice.

#14     Sep 23, 2012
  5. 1) Which website are you referring to as "over there"? :confused:
    2) The quality and quantity of the content may "re-improve" here if we ever get into a sustained and persistent bull market in equities. :)
    3) Considering that one algo trader can displace hundreds and thousands of smaller traders may not bode well for trading in general. :eek:

#15     Sep 23, 2012
  6. PaulVl

PaulVl

did you just read the tipping point are you trying to call an ET top..?

#16     Sep 23, 2012
  7. Do you have to show trading statements to get Market Wizard or Advanced Trader status at that other place?

Or can any paper trader get those distinctions?

#17     Sep 24, 2012
  8. Just for the record, I have not paid for any other forum membership. It is good to see that some others care enough to comment and perhaps if enough of us complain Baron might catch on before the demise of ET.

Once the tipping point is reach there is a rapid abandonment of that vehicle because of the loss of momentum, which of course exacerbates the problem. We are too close to that point for complacency.

ET has lost its first/early user advantage and with huge competition from contract specific forums as well as highly moderated forums it will be difficult to recover. However it is not too late and the archived threads from years back when we were a trading community is still a great draw for new members.

If ET was listed our stock would be in a strong bear trend based on both membership activity and content quality while others in the same sector are in the ascendency. Our relative strength indicator calls for a management review before we hit the waterfall crash.

#18     Sep 24, 2012
  9. These idiots starting multiple threads on why t/a works can leave and start posting multiple threads elsewhere.Dumb shit!

#19     Sep 24, 2012
  10. It is not skill or proficiency related, merely how much babble you post, regardless of quality - high post count is all they are after [activity level]

From their site:
    XXX = site's nick removed, so not to offend Baron

"I'm pleased to announce that we've created a special Rank for Market Wizards. The rank color is signified by a red background on a username, similar to how mine is purple.

Market Wizards are users who know XXX well. They participate often, create new threads that receive a lot of views and discussion, they share charts and upload indicators, etc. In addition, they spend a lot of time on XXX (activity level).

The promotion system is based on an automatic schedule. In order to be promoted to a Market Wizard, you must have a Market Wizard level of 25 or higher, and be a member of the community for at least 90 days.

To check your current Market Wizard level:
    1) Click User CP, then View Profile from the drop down.
    2) Click the Statistics tab.
    3) At the bottom of the page is the Market Wizard Level: xx number*

The Market Wizard Level is basically your master forum Experience Level * your Forum Activity Level. For instance, if your Experience Level is 60 and your Activity Level is 50%, your Market Wizard Level would be 60*50% = 30.

Market Wizards receive the ability to create their own Custom User Title, like mine says "Da Big Dawg" they could set their own title as well."

#20     Sep 24, 2012