Has Christianity Been Hijacked?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Corso482, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Christianity was hijacked by the Church looking for power and money. Islam on the other hand just wants to cleanse the earth of all infidels. Pick your poision.

#21     Dec 22, 2018
  2. tomorton

tomorton

The Christians leave me alone.

#22     Dec 22, 2018
  3. Sig

Sig

When was the last time you were accosted by a Muslim?

#23     Dec 22, 2018
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

The far right in Europe is boycotting Toblerone chocolate because they are certified Halal.

#24     Dec 22, 2018
  5. tomorton

tomorton

Correction: The Christians don't try to kill me.

#25     Dec 22, 2018
  6. Sig

Sig

When was the last time a Muslim tried to kill you? If you live in the Western world you're far far far more likely to be killed by a Christian. In the U.S. you're statistically far more likely to be killed in a white supremist or other non-Muslim terror attack than a Muslim one. Are you one of those people worried about another "Bowling Green Massacre", get a grip man!

#26     Dec 23, 2018
  7. tomorton

tomorton

yes obviously, in a predominantly Christian country a Christian is more likely to be your random murderer. But going back to my original post on this and you will see that i am talking about "religiously motivated". Come back when you can read and retain.

#27     Dec 23, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. %%
    Amen and agree:cool::cool:

#28     Jan 24, 2019
  9. %%
    Exactly...…………………………………………………………………...

#29     Jul 29, 2020
  10. Good1

Good1

Christianity , or better said, whatever it was that Jesus was saying , has been misinterpreted , misappropriated and abused from the earliest of times, even among the so called "apostles" themselves. James , Thomas and Paul represent three very different factions. Paul himself complains about competing gospels and James scolds Paul (without mentioning his name) in one of his own letters , arguing about faith versus works. Peter was still behaving hypocritically in regards social eating habits even 20 years after the main events, indicating he was an extremely slow learner. Arguments about circumcision indicate the leadership was still confused many years later.

The main splitting point was whether resurrection was physical or mental/psychological/spiritual. Paul's Pharisees favored a bodily resurrection. Thomas doubted this interpretation and went off his own way toward the east, with his own "Sayings" gospel (just a list of quotes from Jesus). Most went off their own way with embellished narratives that interpreted what Jesus had to say for you (as well adding things he allegedly said ). Some, like Paul, were entirely theological treatises based on a Judeo-Pharisaical interpretation. ...that hardly quoted Jesus at all. So total maximum spin.

Paul's version was hijacked by a Roman emporer as it was seen to be useful in controlling a citizenry.

#30     Aug 5, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.