Has Buffet Lost His Touch?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Brandonf, May 28, 2005.

1. Check out the link:
    http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/nc/ne/?id=101370
    Park Otel Block A
    2005-05-08

Reported by Asim Kazancigil

News: Park Otel is purchased by Warren Buffett
    Istanbul: The construction site of Park Otel, the most controversial highrise project ever in Istanbul (on hold since 1993) is purchased by Warren Buffett for $ 38 million.

Buffett intends to gain permission for the construction of a mixed-use project that will include a hotel, retail facility and residential tower.

Park Otel's construction works were suspended in 1993 by the Supreme Court due to the building's historic location (very close to Galata, the medieval Genoese quarter of Istanbul) which is under legal protection against projects that might alter the face of the historical district.

Warren Buffett also expressed interest on the nearby $ 500 million worth Galataport project, which was recently approved and will comprise Istanbul's new harbour that will accomodate large ocean cruise liners.

Click on Park Otel Block A in Istanbul for more information.

#21     May 30, 2005

2. i agree with mr. coinz.

he should make serious kachingo on this trade.

looking for short entry point here.

jay gould, financier

#22     May 30, 2005
  3. Buffet may be justifiably reverred as the most succesful investor of all time and he sounds like a very nice, unpretentious guy but I would not want to have made all that money as a long term shareholder/owner of companies selling PURE JUNK like Mc Donalds and Coke not to mention the asbestos companies and also Gillette who pumps people's money with those expensive razor blades I have to buy every other month . And why does he need so many body guards anyway ? does he get dead threats from disgruntled 600 lb Mc Donalds customers? Bill Gates doesn't have body guards !

#23     May 30, 2005
  4. sammybea

sammybea

Trust me, Bill Gates has FAR more bodyguards.. They are for the most part better hidden in the background. I saw him speak in nyc once, and the amount of security surrounding him was higher than the president.

#24     May 30, 2005
  5. #25     May 30, 2005

6. Hahahaha

I LOVE IT

#26     May 30, 2005

7. He shorted the dollar 3 years ago. He spoke about it last year cause he never talks about his positions.

The man still managed to make money during the tech bubble he missed, and he didn't lose it after!

He still got it!

#27     May 30, 2005
  8. What the fuck? Buffet was right about tech. Hindsight is 20/20 so how the fuck do you expect the man for timing the exact time tech would pop. He stayed out and did not get hurt. In the end, he was right to stay out.

He constantly beats the market therefore he is a great leader for his company.

#28     May 31, 2005
  9. epic moment
    that was in Belgium of course

#29     May 31, 2005
  10. At least we pay him the respect he deserves.

Apparently he doesn't learn fast: if you replay the mpeg, each time he gets caught again. After a few times one should think he would pay attention to the man that threw the pie. But each time he's caught again.

:D :D :D

#30     May 31, 2005